How much must I spend for good DVD player.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harley, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Harley

Harley Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently waiting on the Outlaw 950/770 and before it gets here I would like to purchase an all-around DVD player.

Is it possible to get one for under $1000 that does what everyone looks for in a player? (I would like to spend a lot less than a grand but if that's what it takes.......)

Around Christmas time I will be purchasing (hopefully) HDTV.

My short list is, DVD's probably 80-90% of the time, CDs the rest, I would like to explore DVD-A or SACD, I've read many threads and it is very confusing trying to sort out which features are necessary, so I guess if there's a player you know about that is pretty much the player to have for under $1000 please suggest.

Also if there is a player coming out within the next few months that might have features you would wait for please include those as well.

Harley

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Panasonic RP-91 which is out now and can be had for around 5 bills. (DVD-A only)

Denon 3800 which is due out in the next 1-3 months and lists for $1200 but should be available for under a grand. (DVD-A only)

Pioneer 49tx out now and I believe available for $800-$1000. Only player to do both SACD and DVD-A that I know of.

All are progressive scan.

3. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Check out the new Denon DVD-1600, it won't do SACD but it does do DVD-A. It also has the Sage/Farjouda deinterlacing chip, and a memory buffer to help reduce layer changes. I've also read somewhere that it doesn't have the chroma bug, but I can't confirm this. It retails for about $550.

Alex