How much music could I fit?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mitch Stevens, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Hi Everyone,

I have a little bit over 1,000 Audio CDs. None of them bootlegs, just in case anyone is wondering. Anyway, There isn't a CD player that can hold that many CDs in it. I already have Sony 400 Disc changer, but that's not enough. Still more than half of my collection never gets played because I never remove the 400 CDs I have in there.

So, I was wondering, if instead, I should just rip all the music onto my computer hard drive. I have a fairly large HD. It's 120 gigs. However, I need some space for other things, such as games & videos. I wanted to use around 60-80 gigs of HD space for MP3s recorded each at 320 kbps. How many CDs do you think I could fit in that amount of HD space. Is it going to be enough to fit *ALL* my 1,000+ CDs? I would rather have them all on my computer, so I can use it as a jukebox and each song have equal play.

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

320 kilobits per second = 40 kilobytes per second

40 kilobytes per second ~= 2.4 megabytes per minute

2.4 megabytes per minute ~= 400 minutes per gigabyte

70 GB * 400 minutes/GB => 28,000 minutes

At 50 minutes per album => 560 albums

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Maybe you could try a better compression scheme, like AAC... Supposedly you get better (losless?) sound from a lower bitrate... Or OGG?

4. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

WOW! Thanks SOOO much for getting those exact numbers for me. This gives me pretty much an idea of exactly what I need.

I would probably need another 70 gigs just to fit in the other half, since the first half would take up 70 gigs. Hmmm....that's more than my entire hard drive. Maybe in the future I could pick up an entire 200 Gb hard drive just for my music. I'm sure I would have more than enough room.

Nick,

I'm very curious about your suggestions. Just how much more compression can I get out of those types of files? Would they sound better or at least equal to that of the highest quality Mp3? Maybe using one of these types of compression, I could utilize my hard drive space more effiently.

Jugding by the numbers that Thomas posted, you could fit just over 20 hours of music (highest quality MP3) on a DVD. Not too bad, except that I don't have a DVD burner, or I would consider making MP3 DVDs. MP3 CDs are not big enough to hold anything. At 320, you could only fit about 5 hours of music.

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You don't need to use fixed 320kbps for MP3. Using the R3Mix or -alt preset settings you can get VBR 96-320kbps to sound the same. The whole point of VBR is it only uses up as much space as it needs to.

6. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

I'll second the VBR suggestion...I use EAC to rip and Lame to encode (alt-preset extreme). There are of course other options, but this is a very popular combination (and free). If you end up choosing this option here is a nice quickstart manual that will walk you through the setup to ensure quality rips.