What's new

How much memory am I looking at? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to tell how much memory is on a SIMM by looking at it? I have a bunch of 72 pin chips here and I can't tell by looking at them what they are?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Unless there is a label or some other identifier on it that gives its capacity, there is no way to tell without plugging it into a system and turning it on; however, some computer stores have RAM diagnostic devices that might be able to give you the capacity if you bring the chips in to them.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Actually, based on the markings on the RAM chips, you should be able to calculate and tell the size, type, speed and density of the memory, among other things.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Speed, yes. Those are almost always marked on the chips; however, the other information is difficult to follow if it has any valid reference at all, particularly on 30- and 72-pin chips.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Difficult to follow, but possible. If you know the memory chip manufacture, the markings on the chip will help you find out its chip density, configuration and memory chip size, from the manufacturer's website. After that it will be a simple addition of individual chip size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks