How much magnet chipping is acceptable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrus_R, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

Dan says up to 20% is okay but would I or anyone want to buy a driver with 20%, 10%, or even 5% of it's magnet missing?

I know them magnets can't be perfect but would two fairly deep gouges in the magnet affect sound quality or quality overall?

Anyone else bought tempest that came with one or more 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch and 3/8 inch deep gouges in the magnet? This is bugging the **** out of me.

If no opinion i take it, it's not common and the driver is going back .[​IMG]

Goddamn i hate sending stuff back. I can't even get a half way decent stuff even when i'm trying to do DIY projects. First SVS then Adire. I must've done something real nasty shiznit past life to have karma this bad.... Somebody layed a subwoofer curse one me or something. This kind of stuff NEVER EVER happens to me with all the computer stuff i buy and I've bought over 20 grand worth of computer stuff over the internet.[​IMG]

2. Robin D

Robin D Auditioning

Can we see a picture? I got some cerwin vegas off of ebay a few years ago and the guy put them in a plain cardboard box with no padding and they arrived ok. Your speakers musta been kicked around like crazy!

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I don't understand. First you make a thread about how awesome the Tempest is even in free air and now you are pissed off b/c you think it won't perform well enough? Stop second guessing yourself. Build it and be happy. [​IMG]

4. Andrus_R

Well look at it from my perspective. Let's say you and your friend both went out and bought shiney new latest wizbang DVD player. Both of you come home and unpack it. Your friend's DVD player is perfect. Yours on the other hand has a small dent in the corner. Both, DVD players work GREAT but would you keep yours or return/exchange it?

If you can keep it and live with it, you are a better man than i am .[​IMG]

5. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

My point was that I find it interesting that 5days after you are thrilled with your sub you post about it being damaged. 99% of the time the "OMG, my ___ is damaged!" threads come first.

And if I had JUST bought a DVD player LOCALLY and it was damaged my very first action would be to return it ASAP. If I order something online and it has to be shipped then I take what I get (so long as it does in fact work). Just look up my thread about my SVS drivers (purchased second hand from a member of this forum) getting smashed in shipping. I literally had to JB Weld the basket back together. But you know what? They work great!

6. Andrus_R

Okay i confess:[​IMG]. Curiosity got to the best of me i just had to test the tempest to see what everyone's talking about. Even though i noticed those gouges right away i waited til the sub amp came in so i could test it to see how it performed roughly and it sounded fantastic.

But, that's not the point. Besides, i take full responsibility for delayed reaction and I even mentioned to dan to go ahead and take 25% off as restocking fee. I'll even eat the shipping charge back. I think it's more than fair on my part. :-

Last but not least, it keeps flaking off!

Really, there is no reason to get all huffed and mad about this issue. Dan's a nice guy. I'm sure he'll keep his word and it'll just be a simple give and take affair.

Sorry i even posted the original thread.

Sighhhhh... I started my sub search may of last year, still haven't got one..... when will it end? Bad karma man... bad karma... sigh.

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

8. Andrus_R

Which is exactly What i'm doing.

Lord have mercy on me this time.

9. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Andrus,

Relax, I was just trying to help. You didn't say you were just going to do an exchange so how was I supposed to know? sorry...

10. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Just a thought.. if you're not satisfied and are willing to pay to ship it back, the company ships you another on them and you're done. It's up to them to QA it going out, and if one gets through, they should be given the opportunity to make it right; most companies that care (and I know Adire does...) will take that opportunity to make sure you're happy because that equates to your 30 friends that you tell how much you're happy. I really feel this is a total 'no harm no foul' situation. What would be unfortunate would be to walk away with a grumble that you never expressed so they could fix it for you. This is pretty much the definition of customer service; if nothing ever went wrong you wouldn't need it.

When I got my PRs one had the disk at a wonky angle and it was very out-of-whack. The manufacturer expressed that it would be ok, and I simply asked that they ship another out when they got mine back. Done. I'm happy [​IMG]