What's new

How much low freq sent to rear surrounds? (1 Viewer)

RickMo

Stunt Coordinator
Just received my SV Sub (yikes, does it rock!) and decided to connect my old sub (Polk) to my rear surrounds. For awhile, I thought the Polk had died ... I turned it up all the way but there's very little info there. Almost zilch. In general, is there very little low frequency info being sent to the rear surrounds?

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
If you connect your sub "in front" of the surround speakers like this you have to make sure you set your surround speakers to "large" in your receivers setup.
Sorry if you already knew this and youre doing it this way. You didnt mention it in your post.

RickMo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Bill, for the reply. Sorry I didn't include more info. The Polk is connected "in front" or "before" the surrounds. I've also set the rear spkrs to "large." Viewed the Pod Race, Titan AE, and MIB (as well as some others) but couldn't really detect much low frequency info. I don't know if this is a futile set-up or not.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
It could also be that the SVS is "cancelling out" the Polk. Did you try reversing the phase on the Polk or even moving it around a bit? Maybe that will help.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I think what we are seeing here is a well engineered surround soundtrack. There is no reason at all that anything below 60 Hz be assigned to surrounds.

RickMo

Stunt Coordinator
That's sorta what I was thinking ... is there really a need to send a 30hz signal to the rears? There's definitely not much coming out of the Polk. I've got my ear pressed up (well, as close as I can get) against the speaker and there's hardly a peep coming out. I will try, however, fiddling with the phase and see if that makes a difference. Looks like I may be selling the Polk...

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to consider splitting your LFE and sending that signal also to your rear. I have a PSW650 in the rear and a 12" down-firing (soon to be two)in front and it sounds great. Even if you don't need alot of bass, this will help with dead spots and as long as they are both in phase, they should sound great. I know mine does. I have no cancellation from what I can tell. I thought of doing the same thing you just tried, but figured the outcome would be the same as you have just stated.

Just a thought.

Ed

PS Can anyone recommend a nice pair of 12" down-firing subs? I would like to match them up front when I replace the KLH I have now. (I might even consider getting another KLH and modifying it with a better driver and some sound insulation to make it tighter) I don't need insane power, just enough to balance things out.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You might want to consider splitting your LFE and sending that signal also to your rear
The SVS guys recommend that all subs be stacked together in the same corner. This is to prevent multiple sources from interacting creating complex peaks every few inches in the room.

I have an SVS and I did have the 500W subs in my towers all 3 working. While impressive in volume, the sound was rough and inconsistant if I sat in a different location. The tower subs are now off in favor of the SVS in the corner.

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't saying he definately should do it and keep it that way, I was just offering a suggestion that he try it.

For my room acoustics, equipment etc. and with some tuning it worked well for me. I wasn't saying it would be the best for him. I don't have huge peaks, but I think its partly because of the orientation of the subs. For example, the PSW650 fires to the left and right behind the loveseat, which reflects from the corners and is sent twords the front of the room. Some of my furniture (couch on left wall and recliner on right wall coffee table in the middle) absorb that bass. The 12" (in the front left)suppliments my mains and fills the dips in the front of the room. Adding another to the front right will help fill that corner that bass waves are unable to get to.

Just trying to help tis all.

--Ed

RickMo

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this whole situation has been quite a revelation. Not only did I upgrade to the SV sub but I also bought a new 5.1 receiver. I figured the reason there was no bass in the rears was because I was running ProLogic. But now I realize that even though the rear signal is touted as full range audio, in fact, it's not fully taken advantage of.

BTW, the SV subs provide MORE than enough uumph. I've only got it turned up a 1/4 of the way and that's plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks