What's new

How much loss going from vga to component? (1 Viewer)

Terry Wysocki

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Dish 6000 with vga and component output and HTPC with vga output for DVDs. Problem is, it's a pain switching my XP21N projector between inputs. I'd like to use my Denon 5800 to do the video switching but it only has component (not vga) switching. Best solution I can think of is to convert the vga output of the PC to component then let the Denon do the switching. Will there be noticeable loss of quality? Where's the best place to get the converter?

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Terry,
Don't have direct experience with the quality issue, but from what I've read around the net, quality shouldn't be a concern. There are two converters available that I'm aware of, both can be purchased from www.digitalconnection.com
The one from Audio Authority sells for $119 shipped, the other from Key Digital goes for $199 plus shipping. Quality of both units appears to be good, but the Key Digital unit has more options, including VGA passthru, which you probably don't need. I just got the Audio Authority unit but have yet to hook it up to the HTPC I'm building next week while I'm on vacation.

Terry Wysocki

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Jay. Unfortunately the Audio Authority unit just jumped up to $179! I ordered the other one just out of general irritation. I was reading that I'd need Powerstrip as well. Is this because I'm going to now use component instead of VGA to my projector? This htpc thing is really getting complicated.

J

John Coleman

Terry,

You can also use what is called a "SVGA Breakout" cable. Quite simply, this cable will have an SVGA (HD15) connector on one side, and either RCA or BNC connectors on the other. This cable will typically come in both three-channel (RGB or Y/Pr/Pb) or five-channel (RGBHV) versions. By using this type of cable, you would not have to use any sort of converter, so the performance hit should be significantly smaller. I hope this helped.

Best Regards,

John Coleman

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Terry,

Looks like you saw the Audio Authority 9A62, which is for component to VGA conversion. I purchased the 9A60 model (sorry I didn't list the model number in my first post, I didn't even realize there was the other model), which is still listed for $119 at Digitalconnection (though they no longer list free shipping). The Key Digital unit you ordered will likely serve you well, but if you want to save $80, you might want to call Digital Connection (if it's not too late) to change your order to the Audio Authority unit instead.

Don't know why you would need Powerstrip for converting VGA to component, though based on what I've read over at the AVSforum HTPC forum, powerstrip is one of those essential utilities any HTPC should have for peak optimization.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks