What's new

How much longer are CRT direct-view TVs going to be sold??? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I've hearing whispers that insinuate that at this year's CES show that these types of TVs will be phased out around 2005-06.

I hope that is just paranoid conjecture because I have no desire to pay $2000-$3000 for an RPTV with an inferior image just because it "looks cool" sitting in my living room......and even more so with plasma TVs that are even more expensive, and have no proven life expectancy.

I do NOT want to have to commit to a finance plan just to buy a "high tech" TV when right now you can buy a 36" flat-screen CRT--which many still consider to have the best picture--from reputable companies like Toshiba or Panasonic for only $700 to $1000.

And we still don't know how many broadcasters are actually going to broadcast an HD signal or just a digital version of the present resolution we use right now, and use the resulting left-over bandwidth for more channels.

Are these just rumors or will we all be forced to cough up two thousand dollars to stare at a 42" wide-screen that for years to come will be displaying countless TV shows photographed in the 4:3 ratio???

Thanks.

LJ

MikeMcNertney

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say that CRT direct view sets will continue to be made as long as there is a market for them. Other technologies offer some potential advantages though (especially in size), so I wouldn't be that surprised if the CRT direct-view market diminishes significantly in the next several years as LCD panels and other technologies continue to drop in price.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Well, I view 7 HD regular, 1 fake HD (FOX) and 2 premium HD channels. 3 are HD all the time (INHD1&2, PBSHD), 4 are HD in much of primetime and many sportscasts (NBC, ABC, CBS, ESPNHD)with much more HD native shows on the way, the premiums are HD when an HD master is available and all of the above upconvert SD to HD except FOX (soon to change to HD output this year). Seems to me the trend would have been to broadcast more (not less) shows in SD and downconvert the HD content, if what you fear is going to be the future.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe not that soon, but I think eventually there will be nobody manufacturing CRT's period.

Matt_JP

Auditioning
Until you can buy a 20" plasma at WalMart for $100, you're not going to see CRT's disappear. It was something like 30 years after color TV came out that black & white units became hard to find. I'd expect a similar time frame for CRT vs. newer technologies.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The "refrence" PQ that only CRT's can currently deliver are too invaluable to video production and the computer market to be eliminated at this time. I think you have at least 15 more years until they top manufacture (And even then your set may last another 30!).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
O.K. I feel better; thanks guys. :)

A few years ago I read in an article that a TV station could sell off part of its HDTV bandwidth for cell phone usage & the way cell phones have been taking off, that wouldn't surprize me in the least.

And I honestly & totally agree an HD picture can look unbelievably real & nearly 3D........on a large widescreen, something around 50+ inches. But what about on smaller screens? To me it gets more difficult to see--in fact a well-transferred dvd on a nice 36" can look extremely good. Not as good as an HD image, but it also didn't cost $2K and require a subscription to an HD service. Or soon, buying an HD-dvd player and new software.

I know, I'm just FULL of positivity and excitement for new technology. :D

LJ

Iver

Second Unit

The CRT-based TV's, both direct-view and RPTV, probably will be around for several years.

Maybe what you heard was related to the new FCC rules for inclusion of digital tuners in new TV's. According to Home Theater Magazine, the FCC rules right now call for HDTV tuners in 50% of a manufacturer's sets of more than 36 inches.

By 2007, the rule will have moved down to include sets of 13 inches or more screen size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks