What's new

How much leaking is ok in sealed subs? (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
I'm building a new sub box for my car and am wondering how much it affects the SQ to have leaks. I've made the parts fit fairly well and used lots of glue in the butt joints with nails to secure. Each joint is clamped for an hour to set and i run a little extra bead of glue along each joint to help improve the seal.

So how much leaking is acceptable? Does it really even matter that much for a sealed box rather than a ported? Should I get some sort of caulking to further seal the joints?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ned,

There should be NO leaking at all. If you've used plenty of glue then it shouldn't be an issue. I normally use silicone to seal the internal joints on sealed enclosures but don't always use it on vented enclosures.

If all your joints are nice and tight then just use your own discretion. For your own peace of mind the 5 minutes that it will take you to do it may be worthwhile.

Brian

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Ned, I found my leaks just by using a test CD and playing a low tone (20-30 Hz) at a reasonably high volume so the driver is chugging some serious air.

Some might recommend using some smoke (cigarette, incence.. something that will give you a steady stream of smoke for a few minutes) around the areas most likely to leak. (around driver,amp)

I heard a rattle that turned out to be a leak from my terminal cup. And I could also feel the air with my hand. I had always thought the rattle was coming from the picture hanging on the wall above my speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks