How much is your Sonosub worth?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ped, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

My brother thinks I'm crazy putting all this money into a sub (he counts the amp cost), so, how much would you say your sonosub is worth? I mean this in terms of..if you were to go into a store and you heard the performance of your sub, how much would you pay for it? Thanx
    Mike

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

(Dr. Evil voice)One Meel-yun Dollars!
    If you build the sub correctly for true low end performance, you are probably building a sub that retails well over $1,000.
    Just go out and look for subs that "do" what you are desigining your sub to do performance-wise and that's where you should start comparing (but you'd probably have to factor in the size in the comparison since most people wanting to buy a sub don't won't it super-large, and wind up paying tons for the amp power to drive it in a small enclosure.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Much to my dismay, I haven't had the oppertunity to directly compare it to much. It cost me about $800 CDN to build (thats absolutely everything I needed, amp and all). I could have bought a Paradigm PW2200 for a little over $900 total. However, the PW2200 can only compete in the 30hz and up, mine kills it in the 30hz and below and sounds better too. Next cheapest good performer would have to be the Servo15. It would have run me about $1500 CDN. I'm guessing here, but since it is servo controlled I'd expect it would sound slightly better than mine. But again, output wise they would match up pretty close above 30hz and below 30hz mine would be able to go a fair bit louder the lower you go (the servo15 would come closer to mine down low than the PW2200 though). Remember size isn't that much of an issue for me, my sub is almost 3 times the size of a servo15 or pw2200 (although it's foot print is smaller than both [​IMG] )
    Put simply I suppose, I wouldn't be willing to part with my sonosub unless someone offered me $1200-$1500 CDN for it (the price I'd be willing to take would depend on when it was offered, and how long it would be before I could built a BPD1803 from that point).
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub
    [Edited last by Dustin B on November 10, 2001 at 11:40 AM]

4. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

while not a sono, my sub cost ~600 to build (including amp, and eq).
    i was looking at an hgs-15 at the time, and they are what 1500 or so bucks? im more than satisfied with my units performance, and would do it again in a heartbeat.
    (and i "saved" enough money to build my mains..)
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]