How much is a used ISF calibrated TW40X81 worth?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dan Crouthamel, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Dan Crouthamel

I've been considering selling my TW40X81 to purchase the 50H81 since it is possibly the biggest set I can get into my apartment. The set is about 10 months old now and was calibrated by Michael TLV back in May.
    I have a friend that might be interested so I would more than likely give him a nice deal. However, I was curious to know what a fair asking price would be.
    thanks,
    dan

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    In the immortal words of Captain Kirk:
    "I'll kill you, you filthy traitor! ... I kill you!!!"
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

3. Dan Crouthamel

Huh???
    I don't know if you're angry or not [​IMG] I don't want to get rid of the set because of the way it looks .. in fact, it looks great!!! You did an awesome job calibrating it!!
    I hate to say it, I just want something bigger .. and 50" is about the biggest I can fit into my apartment without having to saw a hole in the wall or bust out the windows.
    Again, for the record. The TV is absolutely terrific!! Please don't get the wrong impression, Michael. Maybe I'm crazy to sell it, but isn't bigger supposed to be better???
    What would you consider a fair asking price???
    thanks,
    dan

4. John_Robinson

Curious: would the fact that it's been calibrated still be relevant after it gets moved? I would think that alignment, as well as any compensations for, say, the earth's magnetic fields, would all be in question once the set has moved from its original location.
    ------------------
    John Robinson
    "E=mc^2 (+/- 3dB)"

5. Dan Crouthamel

That is a good point, John. Moving it may affect geometry and convergence possibly, but I would think very little. These items can be fixed pretty easily and I would be willing to do it for whomever purchased the set.
    The next question is grayscale - which is really why I got the set calibrated. I suppose it shouldn't be affected by moving the set. The only thing to keep in mind is that whoever might get it (that is if I do sell it .. haven't completely made up my mind) may prefer a different contrast level. If this is the case and they do turn it up or down, it will affect the grayscale .. move it away from the optimal 6500K. By how much, I'm not sure.
    dan
    PS. Maybe I'm better off just making the TW40X81 my bedroom TV [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Dan Crouthamel on August 08, 2001 at 09:41 AM]

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    I'm not mad at all. Just funning wit youse ... [​IMG]
    Bigger and better things.
    Here's an idea ... get the new set and use the 40 as a base for eyeballing the grayscale. Should be a pretty cool experiment.
    Moving (carefully) does not affect grayscale at all. At most, you spend 10 minutes playing with convergence.
    I recall that the contrast has been centered as well with the max set at 60% or so. I don't think the next owner can take it much higher even if they wanted to. (Unless you go into design menu and reset the contrast range.)
    $1200 range
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Michael TLV on August 08, 2001 at 10:57 AM]
    [Edited last by Michael TLV on August 08, 2001 at 10:58 AM]

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Dan,
    Since the price of HDTVs have fallen sharply these last few months (the PT-47 can be had for $1800, and is 7" bigger than the 40" Tosh) I would say that a fair price for a non-calibrated, used 40H81 in TODAY'S market is around $1000-$1200 depending on how well you know who you're selling to. You can tack on 1/2 of what you paid for calibration on that (around $200, right?) and so your asking price should be $1200-$1400, no tax or shipping if you're friend's local.
    Just my opinion, of course.
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Click here for their www.audiosurvey.com reviews

8. Dan Crouthamel

Thanks for the feedback, Michael and Carlo. I told my friend, who is local, that I could probably sell it to him for around 1K, which is a great deal I think. Anybody else, I would probably then say $1200. However, I'm beginning to like the idea of making it a bedroom TV [​IMG]
    I also liked Michael's idea about using the TW40X81 to eyeball the grayscale for the 50H81. Since my first attempt was WAY off (you remember Michael), maybe this might help [​IMG]
    I think the deal at continentaltrade.com sounds very good. I'm going to call crazy eddie and see if they can match the price.
    dan
    JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH CRAZY EDDIE. They can sell it to me for $1975, however I would have to pay tax. Is this a good deal???
    [Edited last by Dan Crouthamel on August 08, 2001 at 01:36 PM]

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

God, for $1K, if I didn't already own the PT-47 and if I was local to you, I'd jump at that price (even the $1200 is very good).
    You're obviously a good friend to have. [​IMG]
    RE: eyeballing the grey scale, I think that's a great idea. I have access to a computer monitor that has a 6500K reading on it (and from what I can tell it's really close to it) and I'm going to be using that to eyeball grayscale on my PT-47 until I can get an ISF'er out here (I'm praying some people drop off of Michael's So-Cal tour, I'm like 3rd on the wait list).
    Good luck!
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Click here for their www.audiosurvey.com reviews

10. Dan Crouthamel

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH CRAZY EDDIE. They can sell the 50H81 to me for for $1975, however I would have to pay tax. Is this a good deal???

11. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings Carlo
    I am currently looking into extending the LA trip another 4 days to accommodate the other 7 people in the queue. Will know more in September.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

12. Dan Crouthamel

I offered my friend $1100 for the TW40X81 and he accepted it. I think that's a pretty good deal. However, I'm still waiting to here if the service convergence (64 point) is accessible with the new 50H81's. Can I assume that it is since it is possible to get into the service menu??
    thanks,
    dan

13. Dan Crouthamel

Wow, has it really been 3 years since my last post [​IMG] Time sure does fly by quickly.
    Well, I still have the TW40X81 and it is still rocking!! I'm quite amazed and absolutely love this set. However, I will be finishing the basement in my new home shortly at which time I will be replacing this set (probably with a front projection unit). My wife doesn't think we need a new one, but I'm going to have to overrule her on that - I can't think of better reason to replace the set when the basement is finished.
    So ... this set will be 4 years old in October, can anyone give me an idea of how much it might be worth? I hope to get something for it, even if it is small [​IMG]

14. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    oh the memories!!

15. Dan Crouthamel

Nice setup you have there, Gregg [​IMG] I see you also had Michael calibrate your set .. sweet.
    I'd really like to keep my set, but it's only 40" and I think it's time for something bigger [​IMG]

16. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    $600 maybe ...
    Oh so much has happened since then ... empires have risen ... they have fallen ...
    Oops ... wrong site. [​IMG]
    REgards

17. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Dan,

How has your TW40X81 held up over the years after ISF? Did you have it calibrated again by an ISF tech?

I'm just asking because this month is the big month to get my Panny ISF'd from Gregg.

18. Dan Crouthamel

Sorry for the delay .. I've been pretty busy this past week (I just got married - [​IMG])
    I haven't had the set calibrated again. How often does it need to be calibrated? It looks the same to me as it did when Michael calibrated it.

19. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Did you also buy the 50H81? I had a 50H81 for 3 years. It was a nice set. I sold it before I moved several hundred miles.
    I am now waiting for my new baby: JVC HD-61Z585. [​IMG] Hopefully they come in stock soon!

20. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings Dan

The TV probably needs lens cleaning / dusting if you haven't dont that.

As well ... some light drop off has occurred as the TV ages .. boosting the contrast a couple of clicks higher usually compensates for the drop off.

Grayscale drifts a bit ... but likely still close to "opening day"

Regards