What's new

How much interest is there for a Pre-Built Linkwitz Transform? (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Hank, this is a stand alone device. It is seperate from the amp. I am not selling any modified plate amp or the likes. If you want to modify your own amp, that is up to you. This is just a singnal intercept device between your sub pre-out on your reciever and your pre-in on your plate amp or pro audio amp. Most people that will be using these will more likely have high excursion drivers with pro-sound amps...so the plate amp thing is not a big issue for me.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I'd like to be able to incorporate it in a plate amp with nothing external. If most plate amps have the voltage available, I'd just hook up to it and it's done. It doesn't matter what size amp; 90 watts to 350 watts - theyre all possible candidates for a little L-R depending on the subwoofer design goals.
True, I tend to think only on a grand scale...100dB @ 10Hz, that sort of thing. ;) Your idea sounds like a good one, packaged with a capable driver in a not-too-small cabinet (so as to minimize needed boosting).
Anthony, what information do you need to construct such a box? I'd even take one now to play with with a Tempest I've got in a sealed box. And there's always my BPD 1803 just sitting there...

A

Anthony_Gomez

Jack, I am not sure I know what you mean by info on constructing a box. I don't have any Lt's right now save the one that I use on my current 1503. To make this feasable, I will have to order in bulk (hence the 10-20+ LT's).

I just got email from Siegfried saying that there would be no problem since it is public domain=)

Hank, if you want just the LT board stuffed with switches but with no power supply and RCA's/LED's/case etc, it can be arranged, but I will not be re-designing any boards to accomidate voltage regulators. Hope you understand.

..and I too think on the grand scale! K2 baby!

A

Anthony_Gomez

Spunky?!?! Who the hell are you calling spunky!!!:D
and what did you in your earlier comment when you said:
Anthony, what information do you need to construct such a box?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I mean, do you need to do the whole spreadsheet yourself based on my driver/box/desired Fc/Qtc? As a customer, what info. do you need from me?

A

Anthony_Gomez

If I was to also stuff the "custum" parts in, I have YOU figure out what you want and then YOU would tell me what parts to put in. FYI, the caps and resistors on these boarts ADD....caps are parallel and resistors are in series (simplifies things)
Example. On the order page, I would provide a schematic with parts labled (might just use the original LT sheet since the Beta release actually has a lable # flipped and is inconsistant with other stuff)
Jack says:C301=.22uF+.1uF, R301=47kohm+100kohm.
Simple?
This assumes that I will be doing that end. stuffing in these custom values meansthat I need to buy 10packs of resistors for each value. I would just have to cross my fingers and hope that people request the same resistor. Caps, I can order one at atime. I just don't want to be stuck with lots of extra resistors, but I suppose I can work around that (like have a web inventory of parts that people can later email me saying "I want this and this and this".....this would be for previous LT buyers)...it also takes a lot more time to custum stuff each board!
Also, if I was to put in "swapable" socket pins, you as the buyer would probably want to epoxy them in if you plan on removing parts a fair amount of time (John Pohmman (sorry if I butchered the spelling) also recommends this epoxying on his kits that use the pins). I don't want to do that, and it of is kinda hard to do after I stuff those pins. Perhaps I can just put all the custom parts into a bag and have the buyer stuff the part themself allowing them the option of epoxy re-inforcing the "swapable" socket pins.
hope I made sense with all that rambling! :D

A

Anthony_Gomez

I'll try and get some images of my LT to give you an idea (don't have a digital camara). I contacted John Pomann on his pre-built regulated power suplies (+/-12V plus an 5V for whatever you may need :)) If I can swing a bulk purchase I can drive pricing even lower than with Rod Elliots powersupplies (not sure what is better, but I bet both are good for this application).
As for pricing, here is the PLAN (plan=would be nice,...let me see if I can make it happen):
The price you pay is ABOUT (about=flexability word in case it is slightly higher) what it would cost you to buy the parts on your own as a single purchaser. HOWEVER, what you get is a BUILT kit. In other words, you get it BUILT for FREE.
How does that sound:D ..nothing quite like getting something built for you for the price of the parts (and shipping).

A

Anthony_Gomez

Just threw together a spread sheet and it looks like it would cost about $65-70 for the Linkwitz Transform, Power supply, case, accessories (such as toggles, Dayton gold RCA's etc) and shipping to your door. This is an estimate for a "just plug me in and play the movie" package.

If we can get at least 10 people in on it, then it will happen (hopefully more than 10 though).

Since this will be a wad of cash for me to front, I would have people pre-pay 50% and the other 50% when they are ready to ship. I spoke with Kyle and we might be able to do the ordering from his site. ...Lets see the T-15's are planned to come out in mid to late september. Wouldn't it be nice to have a built LT delivered when the T-15's get sent out =)

How does that sound?

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
What if everyone interested sent you a saved copy of what EQ we wanted in one of the LT programs and then you could come up with an idea for parts orders?

Pete

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
anthony,
just a thought, if its not too late to do any re-designing, PC board variable resistors could be used to "dail in" the required resistances per customer requirements. a one size fits all solution. then all you have to worry about is changing/modularizing (is that a word?) the caps.

btw, i did find the manual to the hypex 500 amp. its ALL written in german or something...no schematics either.

A

Anthony_Gomez

something to consider:

SVS Bass Interface box: $199
Marchand BASSIS one channel unassembled kit:$199

These are two subwoofer active accessories that are out there that I am aware of. While these "look" more professional, they are also ~3x the cost plus shipping!

A

Anthony_Gomez

Pete: I could do that, or just offer a list of what parts they have to work with (still a large pool of parts). I personally have a bunch of 10 packs of ~1-50kohm 1/2watt metal film resistors and a bunch of polyester film caps that I can use to subsidize special requests.

Jeff, the problem with that is if someone wanted to change the resistor value, they would need to own a Ohm metter or DMM. You need these LT values to be within 5%. Also, to measure these resistors, they have to be removed from the board. You cannot measure them in situ.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Anthony,
Count me in. I would be interested too. Excuse my ignorance, but you will need to make every one for the individual case, right?
Im ensambling a Tempest in an 8ft sonotube, not yet finished, but I think it would be nice to reach, say, 16Hz instead of "just" 20Hz! :D

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hehe
you had to make it difficult. :D
actually its not that difficult. its one of the easiest things to do, even for a novice. if i understand what you are doing with parts changabilty, it would be just as easy. i can think of a few simple work-arounds that wouldnt add but a cent or two to the parts cost per board. maybe not, i dunno, im just trying to help.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Manuel, As long as your Tempest is sealed, then you are good to go=). I am not quite sure of what you are asking as far as the case. Each LT will be built into its own case (which you can open up with a simple screw driver if you later want to change out the values.

Jeff, in the long run, it is easier to stich with non tuneable parts. you can't just tune a LT with a single resister change....you actually need to change caps too (marchand must have a different circuit or something strange). The pots that are out there that are reasonably priced do not offer the same quality as 1/2watt metal film resistors do. Also, Caps and resistors have leads that can be bent to fit into hole spacings...those pots would need lead wires soldered on unless it is a breadboard pot with spacing that exactly meets the PCB spacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks