How much for the sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Gianluca, May 25, 2003.

1. Gianluca

Gianluca Agent

I am going to spend $600 for my new speakers (front, centre, surround).

How much do you think I should spend for the sub?

The speakers are for 100W receivers and my room isn't too big.

2. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

It depends on how much you "need" the sub. If the speakers you bought are small, and don't have the capability to produce the amount of bass you need, then you need a really good sub, but if the speakers you bought are full size towers, than any cheap little sub will do.

I would recommend going with an SVS, as they are not at all boomy, and you get ground clean sounding bass. A little on the expensive side though. You get get them for around 700-800 dollars.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Gianluca,

I agree with Mitch, it will depend a lot on your room dimension, the spl you want to achive, etc.

I dont know what brands can you get in Italy, but if you can grab an SVS or an HSU, pretty good subs.

4. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Its always nice to know that you have the capability, if its called for, to really shake things up. A good quality sub is very important in my opinion. SVS and HSU are very good subs, as are many others, though they are quite expensive. If you know much about tools, and don't mind doing a lot of reading and figuring (ie. DIY Forum), you might consider building your own subwoofer. It is a good way to get the best bang for your buck.