How much for decent componet switching?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Ridges, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

I have an older Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. Since it doesn't do Component switching, I've always run my DVD directly to my TV and used S Video from the receiver to TV.

Now, I'm finishing the basement in my new home with a dedicated HT equipment cabinet. I will need around 25' of S-Video and Component Video to reach from the cabinet to where the TV will go. The salesman where I tried to get the cables said that that was too long for S-Video and the signal would be degraded. He claimed Component cables don't have this problem. He said that while they do make special converters for this that change from S-Video to coax and back, they are expensive and cumbersome. The solution to my problem, of course, is to buy a new receiver with Component switching and only run one Component cable. He had a Denon 1705 that he would sell for $229.

I don't know a whole lot about cComponentswitchers. My brother in law built up a high end HT about 5 years ago and Component switch was only available on high end units costing thousands. I've also heard that there is a difference between Component video on say DVD players vs HDTV recievers and just because some receivers support Component switching, they may only do it for DVD and NOT HDTV. Lastly, I've heard of sync problems etc.

Are these things still issues? Do I need to spend a lot of money to get something that will work or is the low price just the result of 5 years of techno improvements and what was once a high end feature is now commonplace?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Steve

2. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

According to the Denon website, the component switching on the 1705 is HDTV compatible, so you should be fine.

I bought a component switcher at Wal-Mart for $20 to use with my Xbox 360 and HD cable box because my 5 year old Mits 46807 only has one HD compatible input. If there is any signal degredation, I don't see it, and that is all that matters.

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Since my current A/V reciever could only switch s-video sources, I was in a similar predicament when I upgraded to my Infocus 4805.

I found this Radio Shack four device component switcher for around $70.00:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

One feature that I really like about this particular switcher is that you can program it to respond to your A/V receivers' remote, such that it will switch to the proper video input when you change audio sources.

I use it to switch my Cable HD box and progressive scan DVD player. It does a pretty good job, but I did have to re-calibrate the 4805 for both sources to compensate for some mild blown-out whites.

4. John S

John S Producer

You can certainly run svideo much farther than he indicated. This what they say when they don't have the length of cable you need. [​IMG]

You should run component video as well, and actually run one of each of everything your display offers and multiples of any that it may offer multiples of.

Svideo and Composite are lagacy conenctiona nd should only be used on sources that don't offer anything better.

Component, DVI, and HDMI are the standard connections most equipment / sources offer these days.

Not sure if this helped you or not. 25' is a piece of cake for svideo though, I do it all the time.

5. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the new reciever because, hey, it's a new reciever [​IMG]. If I pick one that has a component out, will it convert all my sources to it ie game console and VCR or is this a different feature?

I want to be able to plug any source into the reciever and have it go out the component to the TV. If you can suggest some good recievers, I'd appriciate it. So far, I've been looking at:

Denon 2106
    H&K AVR 675
    Outlaw 1070 (a little out of the price range but if it offers something I can't live without, I'll consider it)

6. Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer Stunt Coordinator

Some recievers will upconvert all sources to component (the older denon 3803 comes to mind).

Best to check on the specs and see.
    This feature is nice in that it means you only have to run one cable to your TV.

Looks like the Denon 2106 does have the upconversion as long as your happy with the lack of HDMI. [​IMG]

Me ...
    I would wait til March and pay the extra $300 for HDMI switching and Audyssey MuliEQ on the Denon 2807.
    It gives you everything your looking for in a receiver right now (and then some!) plus making you future-proof for at least a year or two.

But thats just my view [​IMG]