How much for a decent sounding cd player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by HienD, Oct 27, 2003.

1. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering how much I would have to spend to get a decent cd player/changer. One with a noticeable upgrade in sound quality compare to my current yamaha cdc-585 5 disc cd changer. It's currently sells for about ~$120. Max I would be willing to spend is $$350usd. Any recommendations? I don't want used but refurbed is fine. My current setup is a onkyo tx-sr600 coupled with a 6.1 speaker system with a MSRP of $1200 . Is my speaker/receiver system not gonna benefit from a better cd player? Thanks

2. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

eCOST has the Denon DCM-380 HDCD 5 disc changer (Burr-Brown DACS) for $89.95 (refurb). [​IMG]

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

For 350, you may want to go with a CD Recorder/Player. If that's not the avenue then certainly look for a player that has digital outputs, I think most of them have it now. If you have satellite or digital cable, you can record from the various music channels provided. Most of them are in Digital Sound and you can make one heck of a cd.

4. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Marantz makes some pretty good changers. I believe the current model numbers are 3000 and 4000. I have a 4-year old Marantz CC-67 five-disc changer that still works and plays great.

5. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

It's nice to still see these posts about CD players, as I think there's a lot more of us out there still looking for a good, quality dedicated CD machine. I had a Yamaha CDC-685 for a couple of months, and really liked it. Did an A/B test between it and a Denon DCM-370, and my preferences leaned toward the Yammie. It has since been replaced by a Yammie CX1 w/ Burr-Brown DAC's, and the CX1 also replaced a Panny CP-72 (2 birds, 1 stone philosophy). I really like the sound on Yammies CD players, and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

6. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Hien,

I would recommend the Sony SCD-C222es SACD/CD changer. It is a great CD player (it also has Burr Brown DAC's) and you'll have stereo/multi-channel SACD to boot. The 222es is built better than any of the other players mentioned above and has two power supplies and Solid Sony ES build construction. It has been discontinued, but you might be able to find one for around $350.00 shipped (msrp is $500 down from $800 two years ago) from Oade Brothers or One Call, or go to audiogon.com and pick one up for $250.00-$350.00 used. You won't be disappointed.

Good luck,

Reg

7. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I was leaning towards the eCOST Denon DCM-380 HDCD 5 disc changer (Burr-Brown DACS) for $89.95 (refurb). Just wondering if it'll sound any better my yammie. The Denon does retail for 2.5x the yamaha here in canada. The HDCD decoding is a bonus too considering how many HDCD I have. Any opinions on the Denon vs my yammie 585?

Thanks

8. Anthony F.

Anthony F. Stunt Coordinator

NAD 521i is a great machine for $300.

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Ibid to what Reggie said. Get SACD capable.

10. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

11. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Jon,

I stand by my statement, I do not recall Hien stating he was looking for DVD video capability, which is why I didn't propose any with this capability. The 222es is strictly an audio only player for playing audio discs only, and it is a changer with the added capability of SACD. The DSD stream alone improves CD playback. I do not believe the Yamaha's you listed are in the same league as the 222es as it pertains to audio, especially since the CX1 is a DVD video changer - a good one at that. First of all, the C222ES has Elna Silmic capacitors in its circuits. The Elna capacitors are second only to the Black Gates in quality. The C222ES also has one extra transformer in its power supply that is dedicated to the audio board. This transformer supplies the clock, DACs, and op-amps. The C222ES has gold-plated RCAs already installed. The addition of the extra transformer gives the C222ES a cleaner sound than the cheaper entry level CE775, and it has more punch. It completely separates the analog components from the digital, which gives the C222ES a large advantage over many cheaper players. Many people on this board bought the 222es when it went for $800.00 and thought it was very good at that price point. If Hien wants AUDIO ONLY and is looking for a changer as he stated, this one is a no-brainer imho.

Reg

12. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Reggie:

Isn't the 222ES just a 775 with a better warranty? And how dependable are the Sonys? I was considering a Sony SACD ES as my next changer, but considering Sony has already closed out these models, I'm looking elsewhere.

13. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

The SCD-C222es is a better unit than the CE-775. However, they do share many similarities such as the same DAC's, but my description above outlines the advantages of the 222es which the 775 doesn't have. There are definitley many similarities, but they are certainly not the same unit. Please read the second half of my last post for these differences. As far as dependability, I have had mine for over a year with no problems so far. The 222es is what the 775 should've been, but Sony needed to meets its $400 price point at the time the 775 was released. The 222es sounds just as good as my Denon 2900, and besides, there are a slew of companies/individuals now offering mods for the Sony SACD players. Please keep in mind that the 222es was a $800 player upon release, so it would be a bargin to find one now.

Reg

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I aggree with Reggie and I have a 222ES and a 775. More ibid for Reggie![​IMG]

15. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I guess if I'm gonna get a new cd player, it might as well be SACD compatible. A used 222ES looks like a good choice. HDCD would be nice a feature, but not neccessary. I don't need DVD or DVD-A player. There are zero asian cds in DVD-A format. Now where to fined a used 222ES. Racheal, I see that you have both the 222ES and 775.[​IMG]