What's new

How much for a 19" or 20" monitor? (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for a monitor for my soon-to-be built PC. As a cheap student, i don't want to spend extra for a small TV, so i'll just use the monitor as one.... mmm, progressive! :D
So what kind of prices am i looking at? I'd like reasonable quality, both visual and build.
Thanks!

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
i bought my samsung 955DF 19" flat CRT for about $160.. look for Dell coupon deals and etc.. it is a little slow on the refresh if you get up very high is resolution but thats what you get for

CarlDJr

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
You can check out the PCWorld review link that lists the Viewsonic 19" GS790 as their top Best Buy. Its been there several times.
The best web price I could find is $330. shipped. BUT Viewsonic is discontinuing it.
If you go to the Viewsonic Outlet Store link they have brand new GS790 priced at $170 with free ground shipping during June. They do charge tax though (I ordered another model today and tax was added at checkout).
When you go to the Viewsonic link, you need to look in the upper left-hand corner of the page for a link to CRT Monitors. This will take you to a page where you choose monitor size.
http://pcworld.com/reviews/article/0...38,pg,2,00.asp
http://store.viewsonic.com/ibeCCtpSc...?section=10042
Hope this helps.:)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I saw a generic (MGE brand?) 19" monitor for $90 after $20 MIR in the Sunday Ad Circular for ABC Warehouse. The specs weren't impressive, but it was big and cheap...if that's what you are looking for.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Wow... I thought i was looking at upwards of $ 300... Tell me, will going up to around 20 - 21" make a whole lot of difference in DVD watching? (Is it worth the extra money?)
Please give me some more recommendations.... This is good! :D

MichaelG

Second Unit
Just an FYI abot Carls post. I had asked Viewsonic about thier model numbers because I saw most web sites listing the GS790-2. The Viewsonic rep told me that the only difference between the GS790-1 and the GS790-2 is the base, the newer models base has a USB hub to conenct extra peripherals.

The discontinued model on the Viewsonic Outlet store is the GS790-1. I could care less about the base myself and I think that I am going to go ahead and grab one of these at that price. That is a sweet price on what has been reviewed by several sites as a great monitor.

Thanks for that link Carl, never knew they had a deal like that available.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I like my monitors as big as I can afford. So a 21" inch is definitely worth it. Here is a great deal on a 21" KDS.

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't mind buying used, you can find 21" monitors on Ebay for $100.

Many were designed for Sun Graphics systems and require a special cord to attach to your PC.

I got one for my M.A.M.E. cabinet (instead of an arcade monitor) and it is fabulous. Goes up to 1600x1200.

I'm sure others here know more about the specs/etc. on these units then I do, but I am *very* happy with my $100 purchase

CarlDJr

Stunt Coordinator
MichaelG,
Glad the post helped. :)
Mark,
Since you list yourself as "stereophile", you may want to take a look at all the parts that you are planning for your set-up.
A 21' monitor certainly would be great, especially if this is also your TV. But there may be other things that would contribute more to making this a real "media center".
If you have cable TV access then a good TV tuner card like the ATi All-In-Wonder 7500 or 8500 (which come with a remote control) would be a real plus.
A high quality pro-sumer audio card like the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 or Delta 410 will run circles around a Sound Blaster. Couple that with a good set of powered speakers like the Logitech Z-560's or Promedias. Especially if you plan on watching a lot of DVD's then the 4.1 or 5.1 speaker set up would really make a difference.
Just some ideas to think about.
:D

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Carl, thanks for the link, i suppose i should make up my mind quickly ;)
About Andy's post - is it good to buy monitors used? Aren't they a should know history of item??
I'll look though - SGI display yum yum!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks