What's new

How much fits time-wise on a Sack-Dee? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I just received my copy of Herbey and the Berlin Boys performing the Beethoven symphonies. All nine on 6 hybrid SACDs isn't really squishing them too tight...but then I noticed that disc 6 is merely an "extra" disc holding a rehersal of the 9th. I looked through the discs and to my amazement found that one disk had the Eroica AND the 4th on it, for a total of 81 minutes 16 seconds.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

The longest redbook CD I have holds something like 70 minutes. I haven't tried this but this disc is a hybrid and therefore must have a redbook copy too.

How much can you stuff on a Sack-Dee?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well the Sack-Dee layer sounded pretty good via my Philips 963. So I took my Eroica/4th disc with me and played it on the CD player in my F-150 pickup truck fully equipped with an NRA sticker in the back window. Amazingly enough there was no problem getting lovely lovely Ludwig van to play in my truck.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have some 80-minute store-bought Redbook CDs. I think my first 80-minute disc was actually bought around 1988 or 1989! From 1987 and earlier, I never saw a Redbook disc more than 74 minutes.

I have been hearing that the high-res layers of SACDs can only hold 74 minutes, but I've been skeptical all along. I do suspect the total limit depends on whether a surround mix is included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks