How much does Pro Logic II improve sound over Pro Logic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reginald Trent, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I am considering upgrading just for that feature alone. Can someone provide comparisons from their personal experience?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I wouldn't upgrade for that feature alone. It is a noticable improvement, but not worthy of being the only reason to upgrade, IMO. If you are just looking for an excuse to upgrade...JUST DO IT! [​IMG]

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I can get a Kenwood 605 for under 200 after I use my Best But 10% off coupon. It's tempting. Does anybody know anything about the performance of the Kenwood 605?

4. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

PL2 is a huge improvement over the original PL. It almost turns broadcast stereo into DD, and old tapes sound much more discrete. Same for 2 channel stereo. If at all possible though, I try to stretch your budget to include a Denon 1602 or something similar in the $300.00 to $350.00 range.

6. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

PL2 is MUCH better than the original Prologic.

I don't know about Kenwood receivers, though. I personally wouldn't pay 200 for one. Wait and buy something better. Unless we're talking about the Sovereign series, Kenwoods don't seem to have that great a reputation.

7. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have a Kenwood VR407 i got awhile ago, and for the price, im VERY happy with it... Alot of ppl kinda frown on the lower end kenwoods, but they provide great performance for a great price... lotsa features too

9. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I'd also like to give a nod of approval for the Kenwoods. I have the HTB-504, and the performance of ProLogic II on music is phenomenal. It's great having music being played from every speaker instead of just the two fronts. Another [​IMG] for the Kenwood HTB-504 if you're on a budget.

10. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

I would imagine it to be a lot better. I just can't stand DPL on my Tag AV32R, on both movies and music. If I want straight music I'll just switch to Direct or Direct+Sub, if I want surround I'll use TMS5+sub...DPL is just ghastly...

11. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] DPL II is a major improvement over DPL. I'm really enjoying it.

12. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I am probably in the minority here but I am not that impressed with DPL2. It probably has a lot to do with the initial reports of it sounding as good as 5.1 which in my opinion is not even close to true. That said I do like it more than DPL. DPL2 Music is better than both if you are able to tweak it. Like John said above, its better, but alone is not worth the price of an upgrade.