How much do you really need to spend to get a great projector?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by greggor, Dec 30, 2004.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I'm looking for a front projector for a future dedicated home theater room. I'm looking for something with excellent picture quality capable of displaying atleast 65 inches, 16:9 enhanced and of course an HD signal. This is my first step in researching projectors so I will be shopping based on what I learn here. I am also wondering if you need the room to always be dark while watching TV/Movies. Whichever model I choose will be mounted to the ceiling and professionally calibrated. I'm not concerned with price within reason as I am willing to spend as much as it takes to achieve an excellent picture. Room dimensions will be approximately 18' by 15'.

Greg

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Greg, you need to go to Projectorcentral.com and read up on all the basics. They have reviews and great articles there that will answer all your questions. Be sure to read the section "Highly Recommended Projectors" in your price range. The picture will look it's best with the lights off, but you can have lights dimmed down if they're not shining on screen. You need to decide on DLP or LCD by viewing each type if possible. But 720p HD-DLP's are pretty expensive.
    Be sure to read the reviews of the new LCD's, Panasonic 700,
    Sanyo Z3, and Sony HS51.

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Greggor,
    InFocus makes excellent projectors for around $800 to $1000. Many members here are buying InFocus' new 'Screenplay 4805', an excellent unit by all accounts. I have the InFocus X-1 that I bought earlier this year and am extremely pleased with it.

Both of those can do everything you mentioned. However, and I can't speak for the 4805, the X-1 even though it can accept an HD signal and looks outstanding, it's resolution isn't full HD.

Good luck. [​IMG]

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I agree with John, I have the X1 and HD looks GREAT on it. I didn't mention it because you said you wanted a HD signal.
    The X1 is a native 4:3 projector, but I run it in 16:9 mode with a 16:9 screen.

5. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks for the responses thus far. 16:9 is a must as well as full HD resolution. This will become my main peripheral source. I didn't state a price in my original post because I would like recommendations based on quality/value for the price. In lamens terms, I want the most for my money, and am not concerned with a high cost player, which is simply over priced for what you get. My purchse date is about 18 months away so I have the luxury of time to make the correct choice. Thank you for the help so far... I'll be doing my homework in conjunction with this thread.

Greg

6. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I did some more surfing around the internet and I guess I'm looking for a "high performance" projector. For what I'm looking for I think I'll have to pay anywhere from 6-10,000, which is fine but I want the best for my money and would really rather spend no more than 8,000. The in focus 7200 looks pretty good so far.....

-Greg

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    greggor:

The 7205 from Infocus would be the one to look at from them at this time. I think the Panasonic A700 projector is one to look into too.

Since you have 18 months before you make a purchase the changes in FPTV are going to be phenomenal over that time frame. With lower cost 3 chip DLP and LCOS and even some 1080p projectors just around the corner I would take a wait and see approach. By the time you are ready to buy the picture quality will have been increased and the prices will have dropped.

Parker

8. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks Parker (and everyone else),

I am just really trying to see whats out there right now and probably won't be ready to buy until about this time next year. The addition thats being added on to my house will have a dedicated home theater room and I'm just trying to get as many ideas right now as I can. I'm a firm believer in doing things right the first time, and I like to plan as far in advance for things as possible.

Greg