How much do looks count when purchasing new equipment?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron_N, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Ron_N

Ron_N Extra

For me looks are everything. Take receivers for instance. A lot of people are in love with Denon receivers. I have heard them and I have no doubt that they are outstanding performers. But they are ugly as hell and for me that just takes away from my overall enjoyment of the product. And the same thing with Outlaw. I'm sure they're products are excellent, but because of the way they look, I just can't get into them.

Whenever I judge a product, my orders of importance are:

1st) Looks

2nd) Features

3rd) Sound

I didn't include price in the list because that's a given! I put Sound in 3rd, actually a distant 3rd, because first of all when it comes to receivers I only consider flagships from the different companies out there. And to me the differences in sound quality among the diffent brands aren't night and day so it's usually not a deciding factor for me. Only when it's too bright or just plain lifeless will I not pay a certain receiver any attention.

So far the only company that gives me a great combination of looks, features and sound is Pioneer with their Elite line. The 49 & 47tx are sexy as hell and with the features they have they just can't be beat! For me these are the only receivers that exude style and grace. Well maybe the Integras too. If all of this sounds shallow, then so be it. To each his own!

Anyway, to the people out there in the forum, what are your deciding factors when it comes to buying audio/video products? Do looks count? List them in order of importance please. Thanks!

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

1) Sound- Is'nt that what really counts?
    2) Features-A distant second.
    3) Looks- (You should be looking at separates if your going for looks, way sexier than any reciever,IMO)[​IMG]

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

"1st) Looks
    2nd) Features
    3rd) Sound"
    This is not a woman.[​IMG] It's a receiver. Performance and Features is it.
    If you are worried about looks hide your equipment. That almost always looks best.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'll tell you what....buy an Outlaw, take a full-sized picture of the Pioneer, paste it on top of the Outlaw...presto! The receiver of your dreams!!!
    Problem solved.
    Sound is all that matters. All that ever should matter.[​IMG]

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Well, I went through a lot of expense to get my new media room looking good, at least to me. So I want my equipment to look good too. However, the looks of the electronics are not very important to me, as in my opinion they do not figure prominently enough in the room visually to matter all that much. Speakers are a different story; the best sounding speakers in the world, if given to me for free, will not go into my media room if I don't like their looks (I'll find another place for them and do the picture pasting mentioned before [​IMG] ). This wouldn't be an issue if my room was used for 100% HT and thus usually dark, but I do listen to music quite a bit and will watch TV in daylight.
    In reality, though, I have had no problem finding pleasing sounding speakers within my budget that also look good to me, so I can have my cake and eat it too.
    Doug

6. Pete K

Pete K Agent

:b Looks sure can be a stopper. I'm always sayin' there ain't nothing better than the sweet smell of a newly

un bra ed beauty--er uncrated box.

Actually I was in the PX in Vogelweh several years back and placed a yammy on special order---I was really sold on the looks of the remote.

A few weeks later I was in the same PX and saw the Kenwood with by god--a starship looking remote. I forgot all about the special order.

As it turns out both models were fairly highly regarded.

But reviewers ended up pretty much hating both remotes.

I can't help but wonder if the goods under the hood wasn't better with the yammy.

Now the good lookin receiver is HK and the highly regarded is onk. I think I'll wait for the good word on the new Sherwood Newcastle top of the line--

Looks do count for a lot---but just might lead to disappointment to. Check out those hidden features.

And I agree, for most of us sound is a distant third.

7. Ron_N

Ron_N Extra

Doug_B wrote:

8. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

When I went amplifier shopping I checked this forum as well as others to narrow down my top four or five chioces. I then auditioned all of them several times. I narrowed my choice down to two amps that, too me sounded exactly alike and had the similar features(what can I say, amps don't have many features). Since my final two choices sounded the same and had similar features my only option left was looks. For me it's:

1. Sound

2. Features

3. Looks

9. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Looks are a non factor when I'm shopping for home theater equipment. To an uninformed person my system just might look like a tangled mess of wires and componets no two of which come from the same manafacturer but I know better. If its at all possible after my next upgrade the only componets that will be visible will be a single video game console and the speakers anyway, so looks will be a non issue.

10. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Outlaw 1050, which isn't quite as ugly in person as it looks in some pictures, but it does look a little bit like a piece of military field equipment. My black B&W 602s are nondescript and aren't works of art either. To the untrained eye they could be mistaken for theater-in-a-box speakers. For some reason I believe that speakers grills should be kept on, so you don't get that splash of yellow to lighten things up. My Kenwood 200 cd jukebox is silver and looks like a big toaster oven. I am sure Martha Stewart would have none of my stuff in her house.
    My wife could sponge paint or decopage my equipment to improve the looks, but I have to draw the line somewhere.
    I guess looks don't count much for me, or maybe it's just because I have really bad taste. [​IMG]
    JR

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Looks come last for me too. Hey, I have an SVS sub and a gold RP91...[​IMG]

12. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    This reminds me of years ago when Precision Power began making car audio amps with custom artwork on them because people didn't want the "same old amp" look in their system.
    The equipment I buy goes in my HT room. I am the only one who uses it (except when a member of the fairer sex is over), therefore I could give a rat's ass what it looks like, so long as it does what it's supposed to. [​IMG]
    Since I am not in the financial position to purchase flagship models anymore, to me, sound comes first, then features, then looks.

13. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

It works like this for me:
    If the product has all the features that I want and has the power and sounds good, is solidly built etc, then I will get the item regardless of looks. I do not get audio equipment based on looks. If something looks really ugly for some reason or another, I will avoid it, but looks are not high on my list because I don't LOOK at my equipment as much as I listen to it. I have never seen a peice of equipment that looked way better than another peice. Generally, the equipment I have bought seems to look ok for my tastes.[​IMG]