How much did aesthetics play into your speaker choice?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Stephen Bort, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Stephen Bort

Stephen Bort Agent

I know that some of you have your HTs right in the family room, some have dedicated rooms with every piece of equipment hidden, some have to worry about the size of speakers. So how much did aesthetics (and space limitation) have to do with your speaker choice?

My answer is zero zilch nada. I bought what sounded best in my price range (Mirage OM-7). They look nice, but that had nothing to do with my choice. In fact, I even mixed veneers in order to save hundreds of dollars.

2. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

Well mine are downright ugly. plain black onkyos... but they sound good for where they are.

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Space limitations definately - decision between bookshelves (on stands) or floorstanders. Although the footprint is the same (some will say), having mids/woofers below the level of furniture or pointing into the arm of a couch didn't make much sense with a good sub in the corner of the room.

Aesthetics, no, including WAF. Black vinyl is black vinyl. My furniture is solid wood, I didn't want my speakers to be, or care if they looked like 'furniture'.

4. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

HUGE factor for me... I didnt care about size (the bigger the better) but I NEEDED black, and I didnt want something "artsy" looking...

Paradigm Monitor 11s

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

The only asthetics choices I made were to make sure I had all black boston vr series fronts. All matching. But the sub was kinda different. I wanted to make sure my sub looked good with the speakers. So I went with an SVS 20-39PC+... almost the same size as my front towers, and same color..... BLACK!

6. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Stunt Coordinator

When I bought my speakers in 79 I had no idea that they will be used for HT. Klipsch Cornwalls and Heresy's. At least the finish is Oak that sort of matches the furniture. But unfortunately they sort of dominate the room, no hiding
    these babies. Cheers.

7. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

It meant everything! I mean, who wants a big ugly thing taking up room in the basement! That is why I loved the BOSE cubes! They are so small and I LOVE the sound that comes from them!

NOT!!!
    [​IMG]

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Absolutely none.

Although I have to admit, dynaudios do look pretty cool. Though the paradigm's and the B&Ws look equally if not cooler. They all three look sexy, though even if they were all butt-ugly I wouldn't care.

9. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

Well personally all i cared was they were all black to match everything else i have, but if the price were right and they were a smokin good speaker, hot pink neon green, wouldn't matter to me[​IMG]

10. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

My wife has taken to calling the SVS PC+20-39 in the corner, the "Trashcan"...

11. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

In the past, speaker aesthetics played no role in my decision-making process. However, that is about to change.

I currently use self-built DIY speakers for home theater. While the enclosures came out okay, the finish isn't very good since it was my very first time. I am about to graduate from college and move back home, so now aesthetics becomes a huge factor. In my case, that pretty much means new speakers, since I don't really feel like building new enclosures and trying again. I personally don't mind big black boxes on stands littered around my living area, but I don't want to mess up my parents' house. I may have to go with dainty speakers. [​IMG]

12. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I like the look of my N805s with dedicated stands, but TBH, I thought the looks of the CDMs and their stands were much closer to my taste.

The Nautili won out, based on sound.

13. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

One word. WAF! [​IMG]

I had 2 choices. Big towers in the corners hidden behind some fabrics or towers with nice wood panels.

So I bought some Paradigm Signature S8 and the wife is happy! [​IMG]

But just to think of putting those nice speakers in a corner behind some GOM was making me sick... [​IMG]

14. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Except for the fact that I prefered haveing the front and rear speakers match colour among themselves, I placed little importance on this issue. Got my fronts for a good price as floor models (black) so went with black all around. Size and shape were not determining factors.

15. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

In my DIY designs, I feel it's aesthetics that set a speaker apart from the other designs that are out there. I don't think a DIY speaker should just be a generic box without any cool styling. My new subwoofer uses cloth grilles on the front and sides, and has solid wood end caps for the top and the bottom with stain and polyurethane. Unfortunately it won't be ready until the summer since I am doing the college thing. I have done a concept design for a friend of mine down the hall that uses a time-aligned mid-tweeter section. It sits on top of a bass module that is wider than the top part but it is tapered toward the top so that it creates quite the aesthetically-pleasing look. The bass section uses two pairs of 6.5" woofers in isobaric push-pull per speaker for a small box. On bass drivers, I like huge dustcaps.

I never cared for the looks of the Parts Express subwoofer with that "Bung-Hole", as I've heard it called, on the front.

16. Mark Bee

Mark Bee Extra

Good question. For me it was easiest to go with black ash for the front and center and whites for the dipoles. We live in a generic new cookie cutter house in Overland Park, KS suburbs and since we are rather transient with my job, it is a compromise. The white dipoles match our painted white woodwork.

However, many of the top speaker companies are offering many finishes. For example, we have Paradigm reference 40's. They offer these in Sycamore, Cherry, Rosenut, Black Ash, Black Ebony (probably a dusting challenge), and I think white. Clearly, with some good planning and interior decorating...a system of finishes could enhance an already beautiful room. SVS subwoofers also have some very nice finishes.

I am more into sound so I did not go with Bose. Ideally, if Paradigms could be put into a little bose speaker box I would guess all in this forum would prefer the little footprints. But, physics prove otherwise...good sound....larger speakers. Furthermore, when building a new house it would be easy to assimilate this all into the plans with everything hidden. Good luck....the most difficult part is usually convincing the wife of the "footprint."

17. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

My wife actually requested that I get my Paradigm Focus in black over the wood tones that would match the furniture.
    Her thoughts? They should match the components not the furniture.

I knew I married her for a reason

18. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I needed both looks and sound.

I basically only considered speakers made with real wood and with a first-rate finish. We have spent a reasonable amount of money on furniture, Persian rugs, paintings and other art over the years. I would not want my speakers to detract from the overall look of our home.

Definitely worth spending a bit more to get great looks in addition to great sound.

19. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I felt the exact same way. I looked for speakers that had a nice, real-looking wood finish, then I auditioned them to see which sounded the best. Since my price point ($1-2K) and speakers choice (Bookshelves) seemed to be at the equilibrium point of price v performance, I knew that there would be a lot of great speakers to audition that could fit the bill for their looks. I auditioned Totem, AAD , B&W Nautilus, Norh, Revel, Polk, Paradigm, Sonus Faber, Amphion, Von Schweikert, et al. I ended up choosing the AAD's and Amphions, as they sounded the best for the price (in different ways, though). Also, they look pretty damn spiffy:

Amphion Argon 2
    AAD 2001

I think when all is said and done, you go by sound, and if there is a tie, you go by looks. JMHO

20. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

I have my speakers in my nice living room and so a nice wood veneer finish was a requirement. Beyond that though, I selected based upon sound and price with lesser emphasis on size and coolness.

I think having looks as one of the major criteria in a speaker search is completely valid. For all the arguing we do, lots of speakers sound really good. I also think the looks of speakers are way more important then some of the reasons I see people post for selecting one receiver or pre/pro over another: It weighs more so it must be better, it runs cooler, it runs warmer, it does video switching 2hz higher even though I don't use that, it has speaker delay settings in inches...