How much DD content on Directv?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JeffPhill, Jan 17, 2004.

1. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

For over 5 years I have subscribed to Directv and have been pleased with it. I watch alot of sat tv except for my local channels. I do watch some PPV and have HBO. My question is: Is there enough Dolby Digital programs to justify upgrading to a DD sat receiver? I have noticed some ppv and HBO movies have DD, but how many are DD 5.1?

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Assuming that HBO is your only premium service You will see what I would say is a very low amount of Dolby Digital content in the grand scheme of things. If you watch alot of HBO movies and special programming, then you would be suprised at how much DD stuff they have and to be its suprisingly good.

But again in the grand scheme of things, there isn't a whole lot on Directv. If you just focus on HBO, its pretty decent. Is the sound better? Sure is. Is it worth the cost to upgrade? Only you can decide as its your $$. For me I got in on the Directivo deal and got a free box after rebate so it was a no brainer.

3. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

Thanks, Shane. Do you know if most ppv movies are DD? Every once in a while I will notice in the info that some are, but not too often. Several say DD as the movies start. I assume that DTV broadcast them as such?

4. LexusN

LexusN Agent

JeffPhill, yes most ppv movies are broadcast in DD...

5. JeremyBurgess

JeremyBurgess Auditioning

Hi JeffPhill,
    Good question, we're with Dish and just upgraded our sat receiver--now an optical cable links the sat to our HK 520. We have the full array of movie channels--It appears that only the original premium channel puts out in DD. For example, HBO EAST is DD but not HBO 2, HBO WEST or cinemax etc. The same holds true for Showtime and Starz. While I like having the HK doing the decoding, having only 3 channels that deliver true DD is rather disappointing and not worth the $74 we paid for the sat receiver.
    By the way, it appears certain PPV channels put out in DD and others do not-even when the different PPV channels are playing the same movie!-the next time we do PPV I am going to call and ask why.
    Jeremy

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

All the PPV's, genarally have around five channels for each movie and theirs always one in Dolby Digital. Plus plenty of stuff in DD on HBO, locals..

7. JeffPhill

JeffPhill Agent

Thanks, guys. Are any brands (receivers) favored over others. I have had all RCA's and one Sony. No problems with either.

8. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

HD Channels are broadcast in DD 5.1 most of the time. HDNet has some really good content! I've been using the Hughes E86 since Dec. 2001 and it is a stellar STB.

9. LexusN

LexusN Agent

RCA DRD485RG not only it has Dolby Digital Coax/Optical output it also has (Y, Pr, Pb) video output...