How much can the quality between two transports differ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Campbell, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Paul Campbell

i am using the Coaxial digital output of my second-generation Toshiba DVD player as a transport both to make recordings on my Sony MDS-JB940 Minidisk player and to feed the DA's in my STR-DA777ES.

Which got me to thinking, I am putting all this trust into my Toshiba transport to do these important things... how do I know it's pulling ALL the information off the disk? Does anybody know something I can do to check it's quality, or is there a really big difference in transport quality from one player to another?

This is a second generation DVD player so it isn't built nearly as cheaply as many of today's, and it retailed for 600-800 dollars when new. Any input??

2. Paul Campbell

And what about vibration? I once read that it is really important to do all these "vibration dampening" things to your transport to get the best performance... is that really necessary?

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, the difference in the sound quality of transports can be dramatic. The issue could be whether your system is good enough to bring out the differences. Often times a higher-end system is necessary to hear the differences, but this isn't always the case. I have a mid-fi home-theater system and could readily hear the difference between a Sony CDP-CA80ES CD changer and Pioneer CLD-D406 laserdisc player when both were used as transports. The 'D406 was an awful transport to my ears.

If you are concerned about the performance of your DVD player as a transport, you might want to try a single-disc CD player. What would your budget be? I might be able to make some suggestions.

Single-disc players often make better transports than corresponding changers. In addition, good clock circuitry (anti-jitter) and isolation of power supplies, transport, and the analog output stage is important. Vibration dampening also makes a better transport. This is all good theory, but ultimately, you have to compare players and decide for yourself whether the differences are tangible and worthy of the investment.

4. Paul Campbell

Keith, thanks for the input. I think what would work best for me is to find a really high quality transport somewhere that I can test out in my system and see if it performs better than my Toshiba. Can you think of any specific models that would be especially good to try? I would like to use the best one I can find and see if the differences are dramatic or even present.

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

It depends on how retentive you want to be about the situation. Many people do not like the idea of using a DVD player as a CD transport, especially if it does not have dual lasers (one laser for CD and one for DVD).

If you can use separate components then by all means go for it. If you're not up to the idea of paying ~$500 for a stellar CD transport then you probably wont see much of an improvement.

I've heard great things about the newer NAD players.

-Aaron

6. Paul Campbell

Actually, a friend of mine has what I beleive was the first Denon multi-disk DVD player (first or second) that was I think about 1200$ when new. Could I trust that would be a better transport, or should I really check out a single disk unit instead?

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, if you are going to spend $1200 and want a good transport first, look at single-disc players. Consider the following single-disc players (not necessarily $1200):
    * Cambridge Audio D500SE
    * NAD C 541i
    * Rega Planet 2000
    * Musical Fidelity A3.2
    * Arcam DiVA CD82
    You might also try to track down a Sony CDP-XA20ES, Pioneer Elite PD-65, or Rega Planet (different than the Planet 2000) used, as these three players have been discontinued. For used players, check eBay and www.audiogon.com .

8. Paul Campbell

I read a review once recently ( I think it was a review of the Rega Planet) where the author stated that the TEAC VRDS-9 is still the best moderately priced transport he has heard. I can't find the thing anywhere. Anyone know anything about this one??

Also, what is it about a DVD player that might cause it to be a worse transport than a CD Player?

And with all this, I hope people will talk about SONIC differences, i am not the kind of person that frets over statistics if the actual sound quality does not change.

I am going to take my Toshiba over to a store where my friend works and compare it to maybe a few Sony ES models and such. I can test them on a Parasound Halo stack with Energy veritas speakers, so if there is any audible difference at this price level, I should be able to hear it.