What's new

How much can software do to a pre-pro? (1 Viewer)

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for a budget pre-pro, and deciding between Outlaw 950 and Rotel 1066. Based on my understanding, the biggest difference between these two models is the software. 1066 has a RS232 port to hook up a computer for future software upgrade, but 950 does not. I also heard some pre/pros have this function too. Pre/pro software cannot turn night to day, but they can for sure fix some issues. My question is: how much can software do to a pre/pro? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
James
:)

JoshK

Agent
Well many of the surround formats are algorthms correct? Software contains the algorthms. So the software can't update a 5.1 discrete channels to 10.2 discrete channels in your pre/pro but lets say DPLIII comes out tomorrow and your pre/pro only has DPLII, the software update could get you current.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... Let's see what software upgrades did for the venerable Sony TA-E9000ES. This is just for the 1st upgrade. Depending on how you count, the software is up to rev 2.01 in the States, and 2.5 in Japan:
Contents of the modification (Ver 1.01A to Ver 1.10C):
- Decode delay (Lip sync. Malfunction) at playing Dolby Digital (AC-3) has been modified.
- The problem of no sound from Rch of the rear speaker at Dolby Digital (AC-3) [2/1], [3/1] mode has been improved.
The problem with no sound from sub woofer when setting Pro Logic against the signal with LFE at [2/0] of Dolby Digital (AC-3) has been improved.
- The clipping problem in case of entering full-scale signal to LFE during dts play has been improved.
- The malfunction with incorrect information display when playing special source of dts [2/0] has been improved.
- A function for version display when scrolled to the end of the stream information display has been added.
- The display malfunction of incorrect PCM bit number at the stream information display has been modified.
- Modified as the vocal sound comes from the front when playing Karaoke DVD.
- The malfunction that turns muting on when operation LEVEL menu with the remote controller after released MUTING by rotating the volume knob while MUTING is set has been modified.
- Digital filter dither value has been modified for sound improvement.
- New setting menu for using "one way remote commander" in CUSTOMIZE menu has been added. (One way remote commander: RM-PP402 on sale in Jul/99 , etc)
- The malfunction of no sound from the rear when playing 3/1 or 2/1 mode has been modified.
Taken from: Link Removed

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. Wow!! It looks like there were a lot of bugs in Sony TA-E9000ES original software V 1.01A. I also considered TA-E9000ES before, and checked its website. This model has been discontinued, and the soon would be replaced by TA-E10ES. With this situation, is it worth doing software upgrade?

James

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
James yes the software on the TA-E9000ES makes a big difference not only for "bugs" but it also lowered the noise floor and improved 2 channel performance.

As for the original question the very fact that the TA-E9000ES still have a shelf life after how many years IMO points nicely to the Rotel's resale value being higher if they continue to support it they way they have been so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks