What's new

How much breathing room does a PB2-Plus need? (how close to wall?) (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Well, there it is. My pride and joy; finally out of it's box after almost 8 months of confinement. :emoji_thumbsup:

As you can see, I've got it in the corner...for now. It's about 12" from the right wall and about 8" from the rear wall. Is this enough room? How close can the ports be to the wall? I'd like to scoot it back as far as possible, but I don't want to choke the thing.

Also, I've got it set at 20Hz tune. Is this normal? What do you guys use for "spirited" (not blasting) listening? I can't blast it b/c I have neighbors, unfortunately...though I'm sure that one weekday, during the day, when everyone's at work, I'll take a day off. :D

And no...it hasn't been powered up yet. See the 3803 box? The 3803 is still in there. My TV/DVD/CD/cables all get here this week, sometime. :frowning:

ps
Is it me, or does the TV look kinda small next to the SVS? ;)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
My PB2+ is the same way yours is against the wall. I have it about 8"out from the wall on the tube side and about 3" on the back side which is nothing but wood. It has worked very well for me there! I might be able to get more headroom out of it by moving it around a bit. Some have angled the ports into the wall and also taken the bottom off and stood them up with the whoofers out the front. For my situation mine is fine right now. I am not even at 1/2 way on the gain and its loud.

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
5-7 inchs in my book would be enough room for the ports to breath. But what do I know...ask SVS what they recommend they won't steer you wrong. And ya the TV has got to go :).

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks much, Axel. Thankfully, the "examples" in the formula were already calculated out; I was thinking I was gonna have to break out the tape measure and calculator. :D

I did move the box over more to the right; now it's about 4" from the wall. I'm going to leave the rear-to-wall distance right where it is at about 8"; that gives me room to peek behind there and plug/unplug/etc w/o having to move that behemoth. :eek:

So, about the tuning: is 20Hz adequate for big-boom movies and music?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I really wonder with this huge thing if an inch here or there really makes that much difference? Mine does pretty good anywhere in the room I tried it (only once though due to the back was hurting).

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Heheh, Mike, it took me about a minute to get it from one side of the room to the other. IT has those rubber feet attached to the bottom, so you can't slide it across the carpet, b/c it "digs in." You must lift it. :eek:

/LIFT!!!! (move two inches, put it down)

/LIFT!!! (move two inches, put it down)

Lather, rinse, repeat. :) It's staying where it is.

Assuming nobody comes out with some groundbreaking info, I'm just going to leave it in the 20Hz tune and see how I like it. I'm sure it's tons better than what I had before (Cerwin Vega LS15).

I can't wait!!

/looks out window for moving truck with stuff on it

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I suggest getting those moving pads "Sliding Robots" for moving furniture. They are plastic on one side (goes down against the carpet) and foam rubber on the other. They work great for sliding things around! Just slip one under each corner. I got mine at Menards; I think around $7. Box comes with 2 sets of 4 (1 small and 1 large set).

Maybe SVS should package these with their box subs :D

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
I pulled the rubbere feet off before attempting to slide the 2+ across the carpet.

The sub makes you t.v. look puny:D

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I also set my two Pb1+'ses with one Plug fitted to 20Hz.
With very good results so far.

I have a tiled floor in my living room.
That's why I NEED the rubber feet. One unit came with normal sliders already fitted (a demo unit?) and this one tend to move around on heavy bass sessions....
Next time it starts crawling I'll take it and mount the rubber feets there as well.

Cheers,
Ax

Robert Posey

Agent
When I first got mine, I left it with the ports facing out. That way I could adjust filter settings and install/remove port plugs a lot easier. I was going to turn it around after I got it set up, but to be honest I kinda like the looks of those mean looking ports. Plus, it sounds so good like it is I don't want to screw it up.

Just my .02,
Robert

Dwayne-S

Agent

Has anyone gotten feedback from SVS or done studies to see if having the ports facing toward the listening area (versus facing the wall) increases or changes the output?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Don't quote me on this but I thought someone did a graph that showed better results with the tubes bouncing the sound off a side/front wall.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Yeah, I would imagine that you would get better response w/the ports facing a wall or corner. Afterall, that's the main reason for putting a sub in a corner; "corner loading." :)

Robert Posey

Agent
I asked Tom V. before placing it this way. Here is my question to him and his response.....

Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 4:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: PB2+ placement

Hello Tom,

I am waiting patiently for my PB2+. Ordered on
7/2/03. Is it possible to position the PB2+ with the
ports facing out into the room? Would port noise be
an issue?

The sub will be in the right front corner and my right
speaker will be right next to it, so adjusting the
level, phase, ss filter, etc. would be a lot easier
with the controls in front.

Thanks,
Robert

Hello Robert,

Yes, that type of orientation will be fine. There is so much port area on the PB-2+ that port air velocity is keep very low...so you have no worries about port noise as long as you have the unit set to 25hz or 20hz mode. In 16hz mode(only one port open)...with very loud volume levels...you might notice a tiny bit of port *chuffing*.

Tom V.
SVS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks