How much better would dvd-a/sacd be than regular DD/DTS on a "modest " system?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jefe Noche, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Jefe Noche

Jefe Noche Stunt Coordinator

I have just started getting into DTS and DVD-a music disks. My dvd player does not support dvd-a or sacd. However the dvd-v capable tracks sound great to my ears.

I have been considering getting a low end universal player (either the Pioneer or new 5-disk Toshiba).

I don't consider myself an "audiophile", but I do enjoy great sounding music.

Would it be worth my while to get a new player?

I can afford the player, but can not afford to upgrade my modest surrond system (total cost of my 6.1 reciever, speakers and sub is about $1,000)

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

dd and dts are lossy

sacd and dvd-a are lossless

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    IMO, it's still noticable, but the quality of the disc also plays a large role. The recording quality will vary from disc to disc. A good SACD or DVD-A will generally sound better than DVD or DTS CDs, but I have some DTS and even DD tracks that sound nearly as good. When I first got my SACD player, on a modest system, ~$2000 for speakers & receiver, I could hear the difference, though my new system cost considerably more and the difference is more obvious, the differences are more in subtle details than anything. I think a lot of people are confused with hires in this regard, expecting it to sound very different, while in fact, there is simply much more detail, presence, and clarity than before.

To me, I wouldn't worry about it sounding better than DD/DTS, I'd just go for it. You can, and most likely will, continue to upgrade your system over time, as most people here do....[​IMG]

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I notice a difference in the upper mids and treble as a general trend. I think it'll be the worth upgrade, especially since you already have some discs.

That said, I have some DTS CD's that are fantastic, so as John said, the recording quality plays a large part too. With hi-rez discs, at least, you have things stacked in your favor, although it can get mucked up by the engineer or limatations of the source material, for example.

DJ

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

well, then make certain you DO have the prerequisite multichannel analog inputs on your current receiver before purchasing a hirez player.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Cost is not so much the issue. What is your setup? You could easily have spent 3K on a bose setup, and easily have spent 1k on some other good setup that was worlds better than before. I could also say I only spent 1500 bucks on my whole video setup, but that has nothing to do with the performance, which is far from modest. Since I got very lucky [​IMG], and have a used CRT that retails today for 20K+, with performance at that pricelevel. So what setup do you have?

7. Jefe Noche

Yamaha RX-V450 6.1 receiver, Klipsch Reference 8" sub, and (don't want to hear a negative word about it [​IMG] ) Sony center, bookshelf R and L, and "smaller" bookshelf surrounds.

Yeah, that's right I said SONY SPEAKERS....lol

And yes, the Yamaha reviever has multi-channel in.

BTW, thanks to all that replied. I think I will pick up the Pioneer universal player from BB as it is on clearance.

That will make two dvd players purchased within a week, as a just ordered the Zenith HD upconverting player a couple of days ago [​IMG].

Got to love our hobby, even if you are on a budget.

8. gregD

gregD Second Unit

My HT is a low-mid-fi frankenstein monster... an old Marantz receiver driving mismatched, poorly-placed speakers -- modest to say the least... and hi-res via the little Pio 563a is a world of difference... it's great!

As noted above, though, it is indeed disc-dependent... mixing and mastering determine all.

I would vouch for the 563a... but be advised that a small design flaw was recently detected... it requires a firmware fix that may or may not be convenient to get done (you're in CA, should be OK)... the fix was installed into production units as of March or April... double check the manufacturing date (on the carton)... after Mar / Apr '04 you should be good to go... and don't expect BB to know what you're talking about.

Read this for details: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ead.php?t=3020

9. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer 563a has very dumb bass management with high non-adjustable crossovers. I myself am waiting for the Toshiba SD-4960 to see what they offer.

10. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    Just in case you are not aware of it, you will need to purchase the six (three pairs) of analog cables in order to enjoy the DVD-A/SACD perfromance from a Hi-Rez player. You will still use the Dig. Audio (or Dig Coax)for your DVD-Video and standard CD sound.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If there are particular recordings or reissues that you just have to have because they exist only on SACD or DVDA, then go for it. Regardless of the medium, engineers find ways to make great recordings and abysmal ones.

12. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

why? not necessarily. he CAN decode everything at the player, if he'd like.

13. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul

Not necessarily. There are some players that do m/c but don't have built in decoders for DD and DTS (the 11,000$ Linn Unidisk 1.1, for example [​IMG] ). Others have DD but not DTS. But in all likelihood, he can decode DD, at least, in the player. As for standard CD sound, all the players (except perhaps some other obscenely expensive piece) will do that in the player if called upon.

14. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    The Pioneer 563A, while nice at that price, also has documented issues reading certain kinds of discs. Pioneer is aware of the problem, but it means mailing the player in and kissing it good-bye for several weeks.

A successor to it is due this Fall from what I hear. I'd consider waiting for that and some of the other new universal players that should be out by then.

15. Jefe Noche

Picked up the 563A yesterday.

To answer my original question: The differecne is significant.

I have never heard this level of clarity in music. I picked up "Tommy"-The Who on SACD, and basically Pete was playing acustic guitar in my room last night.

BTW, I have it hooked up with analag only and the player decodes DD and DTS quite well.

I had to set the speakers to small to get good bass out of my sub. Sounds terrific.

My Zenith 318 should arrive tomorrow, so in one week I will have "graduated" to 1080i upconversion and hi rez audio. Not bad for being on a budget [​IMG] .

16. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

What it sounds like to me that the Pioneer 563A has bass management. How is it done, in the menu screen?

17. Jefe Noche

Jerome,

The only way I could get sufficient bass was to set my speakers to small (the default setting is large).