How much better would a high end DVD player look compared to Xbox?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ottis Fletcher, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Im watching movies with Xbox through component cables on a 36in. Sony VVega. I was thinking of selling my PS2 to buy a good DVD player. Would the quality be worth it? Please tell me differnces in picture I would notice, and would progressive scan make a difference on my set? (I posted a link to it) Thanks for your time to help me out[​IMG]
    http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125045_2725crx.aspx

2. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

Is your VVega an HDTV? If it is, progressive scan will make a big difference. If it isnt an HDTV, a good non pro-scan stand alone will still look much better then the crap the xbox spews out.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I'm surprised that you are using component cables for that connection (or that they exist in the backpanel), because the link provided says that TV is not HDTV compatible. You could use SVid and get the same picture.

Since everything is in 480i anyway (not progressive), I would just stick it out a bit and keep the Xbox/PS2 setup. If anything, borrow a buddy's DVD player and see if there are any differences.

Looking at that link you sent, you wouldn't see any advantage from a progressive DVD player vs. a normal one. That's not to say that a regular DVD player wouldn't look better than the Xbox though, I've never seen Xbox run a DVD so I can't comment on the quality.

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

6. Thomas_P

Thomas_P Agent

What I've found is that the XBOX DVD player is very good for the value. It is extremely convenient and looks awesome on both the tvs i've had it on. Never a single problem like the skipping reported on ps2. I wouldn't sell the ps2.