How much better will the new NOTLD be over the THX Elite version?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HankM, Jan 26, 2002.

1. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I was thinking of picking up the THX Elite version of Night Of The Living Dead but will this new millenium version be much better. I know to stay away from the Anchor Bay DVD's.

2. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

This new "Milennium" edition will include all of the supplements from the original laser disc release, unlike the first Elite DVD.

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    As far as I know, the movie transfer is the same... just has the extras.

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Actually, its the same print used for the laserdisc but the Millenium Edition DVD's transfer will be slightly cleaned up and tweaked for DVD presentation. The original DVD release had a straight-foward laserdisc transfer. The new one has a newly approved THX DVD transfer.

5. david cro

david cro Agent

If THX is a standard then how can you have a 'newly approved THX DVD transfer' for a title that's already had a DVD release. I thought THX meant, the best transfer possible, whether there were limitations due to quality of the best available print source, or not. So how can you improve on the so called best, surly technology hasn't moved on since the last NOTLD release.

6. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I like to see the response to this also. The current DVD is already THX Certified.

7. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

My understanding is that it will feature the exact same transfer used on the LD and the current THX certified Elite DVD, but that it will undergo some additional digital restoration.
    There is some info here:
    http://www.georgearomero.com/newnews1.html
    I don't really get the THX nonsense here myself, but to me THX is an indicator of mediocrity anyway [​IMG]

8. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

This is one of those re-releases that i think doesn't need it and i won't be repurchasing. The Elite NOTLD is excellent allready. [​IMG]

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Vince, I think the reason for the queries regarding the 'new' THX approval for the upcoming disc is that it is not a new transfer, at least not according to anything I have read. It is the same THX approved transfer done for the LD, but they state that it will be digitally cleaned up and given a new approval.

Quoting Vini Bancalari, President of Elite Entertainment, regarding the new Millenium Edition DVD: "It is the same gorgeous transfer that was done for our LD release but with a new approval from THX (which means a bit of tweaking here & there) and a much higher bit rate than the original DVD. This one is a DVD 9 (Dual layer)."

11. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

By my count this will be the sixth NotLD release. Ugh!

12. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Vince,

Do you know for a fact that DVD's taken from LD THX transfers were stated to be THX DVD's and not certified by THX?

Which titles?

I can not believe this money grubbing company would allow anyone at anytime to use their 'seal of approval' without getting paid.

I am sure each and every THX DVD has been certified by THX. No matter how bad the transfer or lack of an anamorphic transfer.

13. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

14. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Tweak it huh, Sounds like maybe they will pump up the edge enhancement (errrr.. I mean sharpen the picture [​IMG] )
    As far as the difference between old and new THX labled dvds. I'm not cutting them an inch of slack, Their logo would not have been on those discs if they didn't want it there. Also even current discs like Phantom Menace and Tombstone are not as good as they should be, THX makes a bold statement that the titles they approve are maximized for optimal audio and video, To me the word optimal would indicate that the transfer should look the absolute best possible. Some THX titles have way to much edge enhancement and some others like Heathers have way too much Digital Video Noise Reduction. This in my view does not equate with the word optimal. In fact the Heathers dvd that THX approved looks worse than the older non-anamorphic & non-THX version.
    One can go to the THX website and read about their dvd program. And while all that hoopla may look nice on paper, the fact remains that THX transfers continue to be a mixed bag.

15. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

16. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Elite has a very shallow catalog, and my feeling about this release is no different from the one I had when Universal announced their "ultimate" special editions - they're trying to milk every dime possible from a given title. Add a few perfunctory new supplements and re-issue so those who bought the previous release will want to up-grade. Not this kid. The first version was superb, except for the awful case it came in.

17. Matt Everett

Matt Everett Stunt Coordinator

To me, all THX means is someone paid a lot of royalties for a label on their film. I agree with several earlier posters that THX is no guarantee of quality.

18. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Dick-
    As far as the new disc is concerned, I do not see this as an attempt to just make people buy the same disc over agian. Keep in mind that it has been nearly 5 years since the first dvd was released in the early days of dvd. A time when there where no dual layer discs.
    This is not Universal rereleasing a title just months after the previous edition. Also as the owner of the Laserdisc set, I can assure you that if the transfer is not botched up in a "clean-up attempt", It will be worth upgrading to the new version. As the number of supplements vs. the current dvd will be substantial. I wish the upcoming version wasn't wasting time on a useless 5.1 track and I am leary about the image being smeared like 'Heathers' in attempt to "clean" the minor grain and dirt specks.
    But if the disc comes out and reviews state that the image quality is just as good or maybe even better than the current disc, then I will happily re-purchase this dvd. [​IMG]

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

20. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer