How much are JM Labs Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Morrison, Sep 14, 2002.

1. James Morrison

Subject is question.

and where do you buy them? how good are they?

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

some are a few hundred dollars, some are literally thousands of dollars, many thousands! They are quite highly thought of, though some people with sensitive ears complain of brightness. Do a search for their website and it should have a list of dealers. They are a French company.

3. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

4. James Morrison

Whiche ones should I get???

I'm on a 5K budget for everything,tv,sources, etc..

5. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

Always a loaded question. I believe that speakers should be heard first (If possible, or at least a good return policy if not) since your equipment, room, and personal taste will all effect what you think of a speaker. I have listened to the Cobalt 826 and found it to be a very good speaker. Very detailed, good imaging, but a little shy on bass below 35 Hz. I have also listened to the Mezzo Utopia, but it is out of my price range.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you don't go listen to any speakers, how are you going to know if ANY of them are good? Pick some recommended names, go find a local dealer, take some music CDs, and go listen. [​IMG]

7. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Hey James,
    In Birmingham you will have to goto Audio Forest to demo the JM Labs. It is located off of highway 280 in the Rainbow Plaza across from Greystone. They are only dealer for JM Lab in all of Alabama I beleive. JM Labs also has a very strict policy of not allowing dealers to sell over the internet.
    In your price range I would check out their Sib and Cub package. It is brand new! It has all five speakers and your sub. It retails for $1,200. After that you would get into their Chorus line of speakers, where you could probably do all five speakers for around $2,000.
    Looking at 5k for your entire setup, personally I would go with the Panasonic 47" HDTV for $1500, the JM Lab Sib and Cub's for $1200. Panasonic makes a very good inexpensive receiver for around $500 and a good DVD player for $250. This should cover all the hardware you would need and would come in at $4450 at retail price. Then you can spend the rest on wires, racks, etc... But this is all to my own personal preferences, you really need to audition all of it and decide for yourself what you like the best!
    Please send me an email at [email protected] I have VERY good conections at the shop in town and would be more than happy to help you out in anyway I can.
    www.focal-jmlab.fr
    www.audioforest.com
    Good Luck,
    Brandon Blair

8. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator