What's new

How much amp is too much amp? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Today, I almost bought a new demo California Audio Labs CL-2500 Amplifier.
CL2500MCA.jpg

This bubba puts out 500w per channel(x5) into 8 ohms. And that's 500 heavenly sounding watts. That's 50 full class A watts per channel. The price was also unbelievable!!!
But still, it was alot of money to me... and I thought... I would NEVER have the kind of other equipment that could appreciate that amp. Heck, I thought, this amp would cost more than my new 57HX81 RPTV. And, I thought, what other two channel amp could I possibly match to it to drive my center rear channels? Sooooo, I didn't get it. Now... as I sit here sipping a nice glass of Berringer Chard, I am wondering... did I make a mistake??? So, what do you think, did I?
Would you have bought it?
Anyone actually have this amp?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on September 21, 2001 at 11:04 PM]

Kevin T

Screenwriter
it's been my experience that great deals on great equipment are few and far between so when you encounter the opportunity to purchase at a significantly reduced price, it's best to act. it has also been my experience that while great deals are rare, there are still plenty of instances so it's entirely possible that you'll find a deal on a pre to mate with the amp and so on... of course, you must be absolutely sure you can fit the item in your budget. don't want to starve yourself or your family just because you got a good deal. if i were in your shoes and i had the expendable money, i would have jumped at the chance. i already jumped on an acurus a200x5 for $885 so my search for great deals has been called off for the time being. maybe around christmas i can go bargain hunting for a great price on a pre-amp.
kevin t

J

John Morris

Thanks Kevin!!!
I figure that if my son could eat about a can of french cut green beans less every week, am my daughter could eat about 8 less Oreos per week, and my wife could call her mom about half as much, I could afford the AMP!!!
Wow, thanks that is no sweat...
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on September 22, 2001 at 02:48 AM]

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
You've got to get the amp! Don't deny yourself. You work hard...now its time for a little reward! Let us know how it sounds...

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Wow, what an amp!!! Yes, I would go for it as a treat for myself....
I have always heard "the only replacement for mega watts is mega watts".
That amp would be a site to behold in your audio rack.... kinda like a red Porsche in your garage.... going a 100 mph sitting still!
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Hey John.I've listened to that amp as well at a local high-end audio store and it does sound phenominal.It actually puts out a 1000 watts per channel for all 5 channels into 4ohms!!!! I think the guy told me it sells for around $8000 but I'm not positive due to the fact I almost passed-out when he told me the price
blush.gif

------------------

Miles_W

Second Unit
John as the owner of the Cal ssp 2500 ( their pre/pro in the same series as the amp you are looking at...) and the VSW ( the accompanying video switcher ) I can safely say... If you get a good price sell you left nut to buy it!
biggrin.gif
It will be the last amp you purchase (unless you have to buy additional channels for x.1 surround!) clean, abundant and smooth... I wish I was in the states, they are hard to come buy up here in the great white north!
and as to the question you originally posed...
You can never have too much amp! read the review in SGTH this month,
about the only bad thing he can say is it pops on occasion on power up!
Good luck and let us know if you pick it up!
Miles
------------------
Miles
DarkSide Member since(93)

Keir H

Second Unit
John, you might as well bow down to the pressure. Face it, you won't be able to sleep now that you've got in your mind. As someone said earlier, you owe it to yourself for all the hard work (I hope) that you (we) do out there in the world...NOW GET THE AMP! Nah, just adding to the fire here. We're rootin for ya John. I've heard it here in Houston match with the CAL preamp and it would be the last thing I'd purchase too as far as amp wise. Oh, I'm sure it's gotta sit on the floor too... :)
Well, then there's always Cinepro (3KSeII GOLD)also! :)
good luck.

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
Since you didn't mention the price, we have no way of knowing if it's a good deal or not. Since it puts out 2500W, I imagine some special circuits are indicated. Perhaps 220v.
Unless you're speculating, and expect to turn it over at a profit, I wouldn't buy anything you don't have a need for just because you think it's cheap.
------------------
Norm Strong ([email protected])

Miles_W

Second Unit
Norm it has some type of rail transformer inside to be able to produce the stated power output. It does not require a dedicated 20 amp circuit ( It wouldn't hurt though :BG :)
List price I believe is 7500...
Miles
------------------
Miles

PomingF

Second Unit
The current issue of SGHT has a review on it and as others said, if the price is good you will never have too much amp.
PF

J

John Morris

I've already got a pair of dedicated 20 amp circuits that I am currently using... AND the price is only $3400. And that is for a new demo unit with full warranty. I'm gonna make my decision by Monday and then either get it or forget it...
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

PomingF

Second Unit
Merc, if anything at all it'll be it's relatively short warranty (2 yr) o/w it's a no brainer esp for the almost half off price. This thing should have enough juice to drive Aerials fine. How 'bout a home audition?
PF
[Edited last by PomingF on September 22, 2001 at 07:12 PM]

Miles_W

Second Unit
John I'll buy it from you in a couple of years if you want to upgrade
biggrin.gif
... I really want this amp!!!
Miles
------------------
Miles

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
John, that is a fabulous deal. I remember the discussion from another thread on the Anthem and the ATI. This amplifier is head and shoulders above them. This is like getting an amplifier on the level of a Theta Dreadnaught or Krell, or Mark Levinson. I would not hesitate for that price.

Martice

Screenwriter
I agree with Norm totally! No one here has asked the poster what associated equipment he has. What's the use of buying this amp if he's running speakers that aren't up to snuff. What about his source equipment? What about his room? Is he really a 2-channel guy more than a HT guy? If John's a HT guy, what's the use of having just 2 of your channels sounding remarkable and the rest powered by Denon? I'm a true believer of the term 'synergy saves' and if this guy buys this piece he is now on the fast track to upgrade ally and the amp that cost him so little now will cost him a lot more due to the obvious upgrades he may have to make just to appreciate what this wonderful amp can do.
I say John, take an honest look at your system. Is it the kind of system that would lead you to upgrade ally if you put this amp in the chain of equipment? Are you willing to upgrade for the sake of the amp that cost you so little in the beginning? Are you happy with your system now as you sip your beverage of choice? One last question John do you have a dedicated 2-channel room or HT/Audio room?
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!
[Edited last by Martice on September 23, 2001 at 06:35 AM]

J

John Morris

For those that asked, here is a link to a listing of my current equipment at my "under construction" new web site.
Link Removed
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Miles_W

Second Unit
Boy... Martice this is how systems are built... Raise the bar on one component and volia instant upgrade excuse
biggrin.gif

The Cal amp is indeed a foundation piece of equipment it is rock solid enough to be able to base your entire HT off. Not only that is sings in 2 channel... I agree that your system only sounds as good as the weakest link and from looking at John's set up his amps are not that now... however, sometimes opportunities for excellent equipment at bargin prices come along and pow! Jump baby before someone else does...
Miles
(just my 2 cents)
------------------
Miles

Martice

Screenwriter
We've all been there before as far as upgrading goes. However, I like to think of most of us here as hobbyist and not the typical consumer who is driven to upgrade at the first sign of a new format or new must have piece of gear. In this case the amp in question is definately an excellent piece of gear but it maynot be for everyone who can afford it. I can afford to buy certain models of Mercedes Benz but it's not the cost that worries me but the associated costs for such a car. However, since John seems to be already addressing certain upgrades in his present system the upgrade may work but if not, all he can do is look towards the next preamp or processor and the cables that many would recommend to work with this amp that will be very costly indeed. Yes you do have a very nice amp but the costs to get the most out of such a purchase may take you to places and prices that you may or may not want to go.
** John are you more of a HT guy or 2-channel?
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks