How much AC-3 programming is there??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Seems like my big hangup is the lack of a digital output from most manufacturer's cheapo receiver in their free DSS packages. I'm wondering how big a deal is this, how much of Directv or Dish network's programming is broadcast in Dolby Digital?? is it worth it to get a receiver with a DD output? I notice a bunch of Dish Network players have built-in AC-3 and no digital output??!?! What's up with that? They also don't list a 5-channel analog output either. [​IMG]
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Currently Dishnetwork has the following content providers offering DD 5.1 HBOHD, SHowtimeHD, Showtime east, Starz east and some of the ppv channel including the HD ppv channel...It is not the dbs provider but the content provider who determines what channels are dd or not...
    ------------------

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ahhhhaaaaa, thanks Mike, since I don't have no HD, only the Showtime and Starz, and PPV, would even be contenders and I don't plan on subscribing to HBO until my first 12 month contract is up if at all. I guess I might be nitpicking for no reason.... except for future consideration, none of the channels I am getting are going to be movie channels so I might just stick with the cheapo models. I really only want OLN, everything else is gravy.
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

This information was just released
    Wednesday July 11, 7:45 pm Eastern Time
    Press Release
    HBO Goes Dolby Digital 5.1
    Multichannel Audio Set-Top Box and Receiver Numbers Climb
    SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 11, 2001--Dolby® Laboratories is proud to announce that HBO's primary channel will debut programming in Dolby Digital 5.1 with the pay network premiere of The Perfect Storm. The epic adventure, which begins airing Saturday, July 14, is the first of many films and other programming to be broadcast by HBO in Dolby Digital 5.1-channel audio.
    ``HBO has a reputation for bringing its viewers the highest-quality home entertainment, so we are thrilled to now offer Dolby Digital 5.1 on the service,'' said Bob Zitter, Senior Vice President of Technology Operations, HBO. ``Many of our viewers have home theater setups, and with the growing number of set-top boxes equipped to deliver a Dolby Digital bitstream, we are able to enhance our subscribers' experience.''
    In addition to The Perfect Storm, upcoming HBO programming in Dolby Digital 5.1 includes the theatricals What Lies Beneath and The Contender, the HBO Film Dinner with Friends, and the ten-part HBO miniseries Band of Brothers.
    Dolby Laboratories estimates that by the end of 2001, ten million US households will have a set-top box capable of playing Dolby Digital 5.1 via DBS and/or digital cable. Dolby also estimates that more than nine million US households will be equipped with Dolby Digital 5.1 home receivers. As the number of Dolby 5.1-channel devices continues to rise, more networks are broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.
    ``We are very excited to see HBO embrace Dolby Digital 5.1 on their primary channel,'' said Tom Daily, Marketing Director, Professional Audio, Dolby Laboratories. ``Dolby Digital is changing the way viewers experience television programming, and we are starting to see viewers demand high-quality multichannel audio through their cable and satellite television subscriptions. The quality of the home viewing experience is now richer than ever.''
    Other networks currently broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1 include ABC, DirecTV, Dish Network, HBO HDTV, PBS, Showtime, and STARZ! For a listing of programs broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, please visitwww.dolby.com/tvaudio.
    About HBO
    Home Box Office is the premium television programming division of Time Warner Entertainment Company, L.P., providing two 24-hour premium television services, HBO and Cinemax. Together, both networks reach nearly 37 million subscribers in the United States via cable and satellite delivery. Home Box Office's international joint ventures bring HBO branded services to more than 50 countries around the globe.
    [/quote]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on July 12, 2001 at 09:29 AM]

5. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info Mike!
    Now I need to find an Echostar DD5.1 receiver for a reasonable price.

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

That is absolute music to my ears!!!! Or should I say 5.1 sound to my ears. Wow, HBO in 5.1. That is too cool. And I have been anxiously awaiting Band Of Brothers for awhile now. Now I get to hear it in 5.1! I do have a couple of questions though. Will this be an automatic thing? Or do I need to contact Directv to let them know that I can receive 5.1 for HBO? And 2, if I have the TIVO service will it record 5.1 sound? My last question is in the article that was posted it said the pay network premier of The Perfect Storm. I am assuming that it just meant if you have the HBO package you will get it, its not something you have to pay in addition is it?
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Jeff,
    Answers to your questions:
    Automatic. If you get DD on PPV, Starz or Showtime then your settings are correct. If not, check your audio output on our sat receiver and make sure it isn't set to PCM. Check your stereo receiver and make sure you have it correctly set up.
    DirecTivo will work. That's one advantage over a stand alone unit.
    No additional payments if you already subscribe to HBO.
    -Robert

8. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I cancelled HBO because they didn't offer DD 5.1 now if I can convince the wife to get it back.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

9. Youchan

Youchan Auditioning

This is great news! At my last appartment, I suscribed to DirecTV (which is much better than digital cable IMO). Unfortuneately, my new appartment won't let me put up a dish on my balcony so I had to change over to Time Warner Digital Cable. I hope I will be able to benefit from this.

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Youchan,
    If you balcony is exclusive use (fenced in) they can't stop you from putting up a satellite dish(es).
    -Robert

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

There's a thread in the hardware forum about Dolby Digital on HBO. Long story short: DD is MIA on DirecTV and Dish HBO.