How much a difference in quality between audio optical cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John*Jones, Aug 6, 2002.

1. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Hey all, I just recently purchased an Audiotron and I needed to get an audio optical cable to connect it to my receiver. I went to Circuit City and a salesman there was telling me that the either the $39 or $59 monster cables were my best bet. However, I picked up a generic cable for $14 (saved the difference to buy some dvds [​IMG] ). Anyway, the salesman told me all the reasons why the top of the line cable was the best: spring-loaded, thicker shielding (does that even matter with optical?), hand polished, etc... Anyway, I just wanted to know if the monster cables warranted (is there a dramatic increase in performance) the extra $30+.
    Thanks,
    John

2. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    John,
    No, for short distances, like those in home audio, there will be no audible difference. If you can hear a clean signal with the cable you have then you probably don't need the reliability features that you would get with the more expensive models. If you start recabling things frequently for whatever reason, then you might consider upgrading. If you just plug it in and leave it to gather dust [​IMG] , then what you have should be just fine.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Highly doubtful that a $50 cable will perform noticably better than a $10 cable. The $10 one I bought for my bedroom system seems to work just fine (my other DVD player only has optical).

Extra shielding? That should make exactly ZERO difference, IMO.

Spring loaded what? It just plugs in and stays there.

Hand polished? Not likely, but cut and polish of the ends is important. I spent the last year at a Fiber Optic company.

4. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

optical fiber doesn't need shielding, thats what makes it far superior to copper or any other electical based transmission medium. The only thing it needs shielding for is to protect it from cuts and things like that. Also, as long as you dont have your fiber bent, you should have no problem. As long as you have light, your going to get sound.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Optical fiber doesn't need "shielding" true, but the jacket also keeps the light signal inside from dispersing, keeps outside light from interfering with the signal, as well as protects it during bending, ideally.

I prefer coaxial digital if I have a choice.

6. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies guys. My generic cable seems to be doing fine. I'll keep your suggestion in mind concerning coaxial digital, John...thanks.

7. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit