What's new

How may ports? (1 Viewer)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I'm about ready to start ordering everything I need to finish my first sub. The last thing I need to know is are 2 shorter ports better than 1 long one? I ask because I noticed my Paradigm has 2 4" ports that are 9" long. It was recommended to me to use 1 4" port that is 16" long. The boxes external measurements are

L 24"

W 15"

H 17"

I'll be using a 12" Dayton or Titanic with a 250 watt PE plate amp and stuffing the box.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Bobby, it's not as easy as simply cutting your vent in half. Actually, each vent would need to be longer than the original 16" vent.

I'm sure someone here could explain why that is.. I've never been able to understand it, its just how the formula works out.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
The original vent on this box is only 6" deep, 1 1/2" high, and 15" wide. Based on recommendations from this forum I'm sealing the vent and putting in a 4" port that is 16" long. I was just curious if I should use 2 ports since I noticed that was how my 12" Paradigm was built.

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest reason why you would want to add more ports or make their cross sections bigger is either increase efficiency or reduce the air velocity. If you want to do more ports you have to take into account their cross section and convert that to a diameter depending on what program you use. Its most helpful with a higher excursion driver and alot of power where the air compression will be high, thus creating alot of port noise. Just remember you'll have to be able to get the ports in the box you have in mind.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I'm starting to understand more,thanks everyone. I still have a lot of learning to do. Looks like I need to stay with one port. Now can someone explain to me how to tell how low a box is tuned to?

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Sorry Isaac. I saved the link but did not have time to look at it yet. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks