What's new

How many wish that Stillwater was a real band? (1 Viewer)

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I don't know if this should go into Software or here so I'm just taking a random guess.

Stillwater, Of course, is the band from Almost FAmous (Or I would rather call "Untitled" cause I don't think I'll watch the original cut again)

But anyway. I just got done listening to the 6-song C.D. that came with the Set and Man it has got to be some of the best music I've heard in a long time.

They kind of sound like The black Crowes in some parts but that's allright. This disc is so damn good.

One question...Is it really Jason Lee singing or is it a man bihind a curtain I don't know.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Not jason lee singing, I know that I read an article where thay talkaed about who it was, but I can't find it.

Mike McCready from Pearl Jam played lead on the songs, along with Nancy Wilson and a bit of Peter Frampton guitar stuff.

-Vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Whoops, found it:

Marti Fredrikson, vocals

Mike Mcready & Nancy Wilson, guitar

Jon Bayless, bass

Ben Smith, drums

Marti Fredrikson is possibly a psuedonym for someone else... I think I've seen this name before- possibly a songwriter credit somewhere- but I don't remember.

Jon Bayless is a well known Seattle local... I know he's in a band called ROD COOK and TOAST -- and Ben Smith is a well know session drummer who's played with Kenny G and many many others.

Both Jon and Ben come from the last incarnation of "heart"- the Wilson's band. More specifically, they make up "The Nancy Wilson Band" which is sometimes billed as Heart... although I don't think they played on any official Heart albums (I could be wrong, not much of a heart fan myself).

-Vince

JerryE

Agent
If you lived in Seattle in 1992 you could have caught Stillwater opening up for Citizen Dick (another Cameron Crowe creation). Maybe it was their reunion tour :)
I was watching Singles the other night and noticed as Cliff was posting flyers for one of their gigs that one of the opening bands was --- Stillwater. Kind of made me wonder how much of Almost Famous had actually been drafted by that point.
Although Stillwater's existence was just a shade over 2 hours, it was enough to get me interested once again in some other classic 70's rock-n-roll.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I think jerry makes a great point.

My love for the songs stillwater had in the movie made me rediscover some other great bands from that era

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks