1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Ways Can You Improve A Tooth Brush

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Cowmeadow, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

It seems there is a new tooth brush every week that is better than the last one. Handle, bristles, A highly technical piece of equipment. I wonder if Bill Gates copied the tooth brush sales model?

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

I like the latest and greatest toothbrushes and, frankly, they are quite an improvement over the old fashioned "stiff hair on a stick" model I grew up with. I was traveling recently and forgot my toothbrush at home. I asked at the front desk for a replacement and the toothbrush they gave me was something a depression-era hobo would reject on principle. It made me appreciate my $5 Reach Ultra Turbo XR5000 Mark IV all the more!

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    [​IMG] And I hate it when they do design a toothbrush that doesn't fit your ceramic toothbrush holder grouted into the bathroom wall from 25 years ago, you have to kind of wedge the tip in there so it sticks up like a totem pole.
    I've also noticed that alot of them don't last as long anymore, in my experience, the Crest ones seem to last the longest for me.
    Jay

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Six months???? I am lucky if one lasts 6 weeks.. I am replacing mine about once a month. These are typically medium bristles. Maybe I'm a toothbrush abuser?

Jay

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I big improvement for me would be if there was a way to make them dry instantly. When I travel I can pack most of my clothes the night before I check out. But, I always leave my grooming items out so I can shower, shave, and brush my teeth. I end up using one of those "brush guard" things you put on the end of your toothbrush because it's impossible to get all the water out of the bristles. I hate putting a wet toothbrush in one of those or a plastic bag while it's wet, bacteria breeding city, MAN!!!

That makes me sound anal...hmmm....

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

8. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

9. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

I use an Oral-B 3D Excel. Sounds fancy but it does the job pretty well. The brush head is small, which I like because it can reach the back teeth much easier. And the small brush head oscillates which I heard is better than a back and forth motion. Now the only way to see if the brush truly works better is the next time I go to the dentist.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I met a guy who was one of the designers for Oral B. Very interesting person, and quite proud of his designs. It's all business, has little to do with getting your teeth any cleaner than previously. I use whatever brushes are on sale when I need one, and I haven't had a cavity in more than 10 years.

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I had a Colgate Actibrush, its one of those battery-powered brushes...
    The prolem wth it is i always brush in the shower, and i can never get the inside of the toothbrush dry... So afer a few weeks of owning it, i see black gooey stuff starting to accumulate inside.. it was freakin nasty.. I do rinse it out after every brushing, but it just kept getting worse and worse.. it was like mold or fungi or algae or something.. yuck...
    WTF IS THIS STUFF?!
    I was so disgusted i just bought a cheap crappy brush and vowed never to use the Actibrush again.

12. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

13. AviTevet

AviTevet Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it'd be nice if there were a toothbrush that only extended the bristles if your thumbprint matched the owners. That way indiscriminate toothbrush users couldn't use yours when you were away.
    It'd also be cool if the brush were easier to completely clean out, ie have bristles that "separated" a little bit when you rinsed it.
    Then there's the sponge idea, so that instead of using bristles you would use a sponge. This could be like a supplement - on one side you use the bristles for your teeth, the other side you use a sponge for your gums & tongue. It might be hard to keep clean though.
    But, the thing that would be easy to do would be to attach flosser prongs to the non-bristle side of the tb. Then you string your floss across these prongs and you can use that to floss instead of having to stick your hand in your mouth. I think this might have been done before. It could even be an integrated toothbrush/flosser with refillable floss rolls.
    You could integrate chapstick and a toothbrush. That way your lips don't dry out from all that toothpaste.
    Or how about eliminate the brushing from toothbrushing altogether? You just slosh around some abrasive liquid that cleans the plaque off your teeth & spit it out.
    Or you could have custom full-mouth electric brushers with strategically placed brushes. You just put it in your mouth with some toothpaste, close your mouth for 5 seconds, and viola! your teeth are brushed. Takes less time than traditional brushing and probably gets your mouth cleaner. Plus it'd be great for people with broken arms, MS, other other motor disorders.
    Man... we're living in the freakin' dental dark ages. [​IMG]

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

How many times have I thought about starting this topic? At least a twice [​IMG]
    It's amazing how there's breakthroughs in toothbrushes, toothpaste, diapers, razors and laundry soap every time you turn around. And what's with the fads with these things? Remember pump toothpaste? Where did that go all of a sudden? And the Baking Soda in everything? And right now we've got more battery operated toothbrushes than we know what to do with.
    I'm with Avi one this, we should be well past the toothbrush and floss by now. Where's the miracle breakthrough wash that replaces it all and does it twice as good? Brushing is fine and all, but everytime I go to the dentists, there's always some comment about not getting the back teeth (although I try to spend more time on those suckers than anything just so that I won't hear it) or along the gumline (ditto). A wash is pretty fool proof and I don't get my hands all messy.

15. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Just to set the record straight...according to my dentist you're suppose to replace your brush every 3 months and only use soft bristle brushes.
    He gives out regular old Oral-B toothbrushes which I prefer. They have a diamond shaped head and a very small angle to the handle to make it easier to get back in the back (oh and there's also blue bristles that change to white when it's time to replace the brush). I think all the other "improvements" we see are just a way to compete and don't actually improve the effectiveness of the brush.

16. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

How about a tooth brush that has a button that when pushed extends the bristles 1/32 of an inch or so? That way when it gets a little worn down, like between visits to the dentist, you can refresh it. For the "Anti-Dentites" who only go once a year or never.

And what about a tooth brush that has a hollow handle that you fill with your favorite paste. A squeeze on the handle and voila! fresh paste oozes up between the bristles!

17. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter