How many Watts?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Patrick.M, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Patrick.M

Patrick.M Auditioning

I've decided, after extensive searching, that the speaker choice for me are the Fluance SX-HTB package. Now the only question is this: Will my sony 5.1 reciever have enought oomph to get them going. The reciever has a RMS of 80 watts per 5 channels. The recommended wattage of the speakers are 50-160 for the mains. 30-100 for everything else.

Anyone out there with a simialr setup?

-P

2. Patrick.M

Patrick.M Auditioning

It's an older reciever, probably due for an upgrade. Sony STR-DE485.

I agree with not purchasing a set without hearing them. But, with so many positive reviews, and the price. I figure I can't go wrong.

-P

What will the 89dm @8ohm and 86db @ 8 ohm tell me about the speakers? or, what should I be looking for is a better way to phrase.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

4. Ruben Tello

Ruben Tello Auditioning

I think I am in the same boat as Patrick. I too have a Sony receiver (STR-K750P) and I am thinking about upgrading the small speaker that came with the system. ME being a newbie could use some help from anybody about what I need to look out for as far as max. watts on the new speakers I should be concerned with, without tiring my receiver? I kinda been looking at the Athena Tech. Audition bookshelf (AS-B2 or B1 for tmeporary mains until I can save for the AS-F1 floors for mains). Any help will be appreciated.

Ruben