How many watts can the Tempest take?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,

I've been breaking in my new tempest based sub for the past few weeks. I'm powering it with an Onkyo TX-21 receiver. I just recently found out that the receiver is 35 WPC into 8ohms. anyway I have the sub's voice coils wired parallel so I have a 4 ohm load. I have the balance control on the receiver set to full left and the sub is run with the left channel only. All bass boosts are turned off on the receiver. My questions is how many watts can the Tempest in a 230L sealed enclosure take? I think I have come close to bottoming the sub with really low bass from TPM and TS2. It also looks like it is really close to bottoming with 10 Hz test tones. Is this normal? I used a SPL meeter when I was running it hard with the Monster inc demo and I was hitting around 103 db. It did not look like the sub could go much louder because the cone was moving a mile a minute. I was going to get the PE 250 watt amp but now I'm not sure if I need it.

Thanks,

Ryan

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

According to LspCAD it takes about 150W to get a 230L sealed Tempest (paralleled VC) to Xmax with a 20hz tone. It takes about a 100W at 10hz to hit Xmax.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

4. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit