How many versions of Lawrence of Arabia?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Kim, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I wanted to rent Lawrence of Arabia that's available at my Rogers Video but it seems to be a different version, than what is being sold at all etailers.

It comes in a box like packaging, exactly the same as how Pearl Harbor is packaged, and the back is completely blank except for the movie credits which are listed at the very bottom. There are absolutely no specs to be found anywhere on the box or in the booklet. I want to make sure I rent the one out there now because it has the subtitles I'm looking for. I've seen the the scan of the back at DVDExpress.com and it has a list of all the features and specs like any other DVD would.

Is the one at the video store an older version or something? Its a 2 disc one and I remember it saying Limited Edition.

2. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

If the version at your renter is a 'book-like', tan colored case, that's the current version. The back should be blank as the credits & info listed there when the disc was shrink-wrapped was on a piece of glossy paper that wasn't glued to the back. I stowed mine inside the case.

Actually, I know of no other R1 version of Lawrence. I heard, some time ago, that an 'extra-special edition' was in the works, but haven't seen anything about it recently.

3. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Great! Yes, its a tan book like case. I thought it was odd though that the cover scan of the back on the net showed a picture with all the specs and so forth while the one at the store was just the empty back of the booklike case. I guess the scan was that of the insert that's included when they shrinkwrap it together.

I have never seen this movie before so I'm not sure what I should be expecting. It was a litte bit before my time but was also on my to see list. Thanks again.

4. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Also, always be aware that sometimes video stores get sent "video store boxes" for renting items.

But what Ed said is correct about LOA.

5. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Never seen 'Lawrence'? You're in for a real treat. I was fortunate enough to see this restored version when it played the Zeigfeild theater in NYC some years back. WHat an experience. Interestingly, at intermission, my wife struck up a conversation with the gent sitting next to us. He was from Toronto! ANd was seeing LOA for the first time.

Enjoy it Andy. I plan to screen The Stuntman, Rebecca, and Notorious this weekend.

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

However, the version currently on DVD is not the version Mr. Harris (the famous film restorer who originally reconstructed this film along with Mr. Katz) and supposidly Mr. Lean wanted before he died.

Also, it is riddled with ugly edge enhancement or some sort of digital "enhancement" that adds ringing around objects.

I think we need to petition Sony to allow Mr. Harris to do this film right. And insert the theater scene back in with a quality voice-over actor for one of the actors no longer with us-- the original dialog stems had been lost or destroyed. Supposidly one of the best dialog scenes in the whole movie, however it was left out because, well... I'll leave it to someone with more knowledge of this film and its restoration. Mr. Harris also found the original 65mm trailer that has not seen the light of day on video so far.

Why Sony wouldn't bother to do this correctly is mind boggling.

Dan

7. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>However, the version currently on DVD is not the version Mr. Harris (the famous film restorer who originally reconstructed this film along with Mr. Katz) and supposidly Mr. Lean wanted before he died.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

About the restoration of 15 years ago, I just want to vent for a moment: The extra moments with the King played by Alec Guiness had the worst new sound! Worst, in the sense that suddenly all the hiss of the older soundtrack is gone, and a pristine and completely different sounding soundstage is present, and then Alec Guiness reads his lines sounding nothing like the part anymore.

It was terrible on every level. They could have at least made the sound seem a bit beat up to match the rest of the film.

A small complaint, I know.

10. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I wonder, could a Lawrence of Arabia SUPERBIT be to far off? That would really open a can of worms, I think, given the anticipation we al had for ths title before it's release, Followed be general sense of "it's better than ever, but still not as good as I want it to be."
    Of course, if this title did get released as SUPERBIT, Iw would be he first in line to buy it. [​IMG]

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I didn't notice the audio "splices" until perhaps my 4th viewing. The picture jumps slightly, but it's not distracting...

It's a shame Columbia didn't have Harris supervise the transfer like he did for Rear Window, My Fair Lady and Criterion's Spartacus. (I doubt Vertigo's DVD had much thought put into it since Universal simply reused the LD transfer.)

You'd think that if Sony was going to go through the trouble to make a DVD transfer from 65mm, they would make sure that it would be flawless.

65mm can't be an easy thing to telecine....

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    To those of you who may be new to this board, I will repeat a suggestion made at the time that the DVD of LOA first appeared.

If you have never seen this film, it is advised that you not waste your time renting a DVD, which at this time is not a proper reference of the film in video format.

Lawrence will re-appear theatrically in 2002 in 70mm with new prints.

As you can only see a film for the first time once, this is not one to be seen on video of any sort.

RAH

14. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    RAH, truer words have never been spoken.

(See also my post in "movies" about the New York City 70mm engagement of 2001: A Space Odyssey.)

15. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Mr. Harris,

That's a very nice suggestion for those who live in New York and Los Angeles. However, the odds of a 70mm print of Lawrence making it anywhere within 500 miles of the hinterlands of Wisconsin where I am lie somewhere between nil and squat. The DVD remains the only way to get any approximation of the picture for The Rest of Us. It's certainly as good a representation as could ever be obtained by showing the picture at one of the dim-bulbed, run-by-minimum-wage-teenagers, postage-stamp-screen cinemas that are all that's available for "movie theaters" around here.

16. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    I have heard that the Heights Theater here in Minneapolis will be showing a new 70mm print of LoA sometime this coming year (not next door to WI, but closer than NY and LA!). I personally can't wait. [​IMG]

17. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Mr. Harris,

Will this re-release be akin to Beauty and the Beast, where it will play the "Giant Screen" theaters? The only place that can handle 70 near Philadelphia is the local IMAX

Please say it will be. LOA in 70mm is a dream for me

19. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter