How many use towers as rears??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Satch, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Steve Satch

Steve Satch Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering how many use towers as rears and if you elevate them or not. If you don't how does it sound with them basically at ear level? Do you turn them down so they are not overpowering?
    Thanks,
    Satch

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Steve,
    I think it's pretty uncommon to use towers in the back right now...however, depending on what happens with DVD-A and SACD, full range is recommended all the way around.
    It may become more common down the road, and obviously much more expensive, IMO.
    Jeremy

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I use Polk Audio R40's for my rear surround. Two reasons: 1-I like the look and 2-the full range capabilities allows me much more freedom to adjust the volume. And they weren't that expensive, something like $200 a speaker. So, if you are thinking of going this route, I would definitely recommend it..if it fits your style.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

4. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Steve,
    I have Martin Logan Aerius i speakers for my rears. They are also on 24" small tables until I get some speaker stands that will hold them. SACD is in my future some where I think.
    ------------------
    Joe C.
    quote:Who's scruffy looking?
    My biscuits are a burnin.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I use Definitive Technology BP-20's for the rears, and their descendents, BP-30's for the front.
    I used to have dipoles up high in the back. The BP-20's are ground level.
    I personally like the sound field much better now. I am *in* the soundstage now, not *under* it. The speakers call attention to themselves a lot less, and the sound field is more cohesive, envelopping, and "consistent" around the room, if that makes sense.
    I would say that if you can afford it, and if you have the space, then there's no reason *not* to put towers in the back *and* the front.
    ------------------

6. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

I've been using two Definitive Technology BP-20s as "surrounds" for several years now, and having full range speakers does make a difference on 5.1 material. They are not "elevated", but they are not at "ear level" either, since they, ahem, "tower" above the seating positions. These Def Techs are REAL towers, not some coffee-table-height "wannabees".) :>) (BTW, my "new" front speakers, the Magnepan MG 3.6s are even taller than the Def Techs, and present an awsome image in the vertical dimension as well as a near perfect soundstage with width AND depth.)
    As for them being too loud or overpowering, that is what calibration test tones and the Radio Shack Sound Level Meter are for. Set the levels right all around, and the full range speakers in the back contibute to a hologrammatic sound field, rather than calling undue attention to themselves.
    Since I haven't found a buyer for my Def Tech BP-2000s since retiring them from front L/R duty and now have a 7.1 pre/pro, I'm rearranging things to use them as rear right and left channel speakers and the existing "surround" BP-20s as the side right and left, so that will make four towers as surrounds. (I'll let you know later how I like 7.1.) :>)
    Burke
    ]
    [Edited last by Burke Strickland on July 25, 2001 at 09:33 PM]

7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I've set myself up to where in the future..I will be using towers for my rear. I have two sets running on the front- got second set to cheap to pass up- Just not sure wich I want to put in the back: Wife will let me have a dedicated ht room next house!
    Either the rt1000i's or the 800i's in the back..
    ------------------
    So far, So good, So what
    http://members.cardomain.com/bugers
    http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

8. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

I am using Paradigm Monitor 5 a rear ends, in 7.1 system - sides are ADP-350, with Monitor 9 and CC350 for front.
    I do sometimes like sound of 7 channel stereo...
    _zjt

9. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I have NHT SuperTwos all around, and enjoy the results very much. It also seems aesthetically appealing, though this is only a bonus.
    ------------------
    SAM