How many U.S. states have you visited?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Merryfield, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My wife and I just returned from a two week trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota and Glacier National Park, and I have now visited 37 of the 50 United States (I only added North Dakota on this trip, though). I had an aunt and uncle who had visited all 50 states, and was wondering if there were any other HTF members who have accomplished this feat, or at least come close?

Also, for our neighbors to the north, I have now visited 5 of your provinces (we went to Waterton National Park in Alberta), along with one territory (The Yukon). While I will probably make it to all 50 states eventually, I doubt I will ever get to few of the remaining provinces, such as Newfoundland/Labrador or Manitoba.

My remaining states to visit are Delaware, New Jersey, Mississippi, Louisiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Washington.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

First of all, what constitutes "visiting" a state. By my criteria, you either have to stay long enough to have a beer in a pub, or stay overnight. Just driving through does not count. By my count I have been to about 20. Never been to the midwest or northwest. Actually missing a lot in the Ohio/Kentucky/Tennessee area as well.

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I think I've been to about 35-40, but am not exactally sure. I've basically been everywhere except Hawaii, Alaska, the corn belt, and NC/SC/WVA.
    My family drove cross-country in a 26ft RV when I was a kid, one summer. And I've also visited the upper-midwest, all of the northeast and FL and CA many times outside of that.
    I guess I'll make it to Kansas someday though... [​IMG]

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I have been to Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada,Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Hawaii and Florida.I guess that makes 9. I have been to all provinces except Newfoundland, P.E.I and the territories though.

5. Caleb Penner

Caleb Penner Agent

Although I live 20 minutes from a border crossing, I have only been to one: Washington.
    I would like to go to Colorado and Utah someday.(Mountain biking)

Caleb Penner

6. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Due to the luck of having extremely cool, travel-thirsty parents, I can say that I've stayed at least overnight in all 48 contiguous U.S. states. Every summer we would spend a month taking a road trip in a different direction. It also helped that my father was a state senator in the Jaycees. He would plan our trips around attending the national convention. I would love to go to Alaska and Hawaii sometime, but I'm more interested in going to Africa.

7. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Half of 'em.

Only 3 of them were west of the Mississippi, though. These little eastern states make state collecting too easy!

8. Scott Merryfield

9. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

38 states plus DC, so far. Filmed commercials/TV/movies in 18 states.

3 Canadian provinces.
    2 Mexican states.

And that doesn't include any of those tiny eastern states. :wink:

10. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Washington, California, Oregon, Hawaii and Florida

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I've been to Washington, oregon, California, nevada, idaho, wyoming, arizona, utah, texas, and montana.. Some of them i've only driven through... but been there nonetheless [​IMG]

12. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Maryland, Delaware, Connecticutt, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Connecticut, Massachussets, Rhode Island, Ohio, California, Nevada, Arizona (for about 2 minutes), Missouri (stop-over on way to Nevada), Tennessee

That's 17. I also have the unique distinction of having been in all four US time zones in one day. The day started in Baltimore (Eastern), then a flight to St. Louis (Central) which connected to Las Vegas (Pacific). While in LV, we visited Hoover Dam and crossed briefly into Arizona (Mountain). Anybody else done em all in day?

13. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

14. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

15. Scott Merryfield

16. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

17. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

12 states, and never been out side of the USA

Arkansas
    Mississippi
    Louisiana
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Missouri
    Alabama
    Georgia
    Kentucky
    New Mexico
    Tennessee
    Colorado

18. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

49. All but Alaska.

19. ToddR

ToddR Agent

My rules are: 1) driving through counts, but driving a few miles in and turning around does not. 2) landing at the airport and switching planes does not count, unless you leave the airport.

By these rules, I have been to 44 states (missing AL, MS, AR, SC, ID, and HI). Within the past year, I have crossed AK, UT, and NM off the list (I had passed through the airport in UT before, but that doesn't count). I have hit all the Canadian provinces from Quebec west and one territory (Yukon), but have never made it to the maritime provinces (yet).

The 4 contiguous time zones in one day is a good one (although I contend that you would have to leave the airport for it to count). I can't remember doing that before, but it is possible. I did have breakfast in Dublin, lunch in Scotland, and dinner in London one day. Also recently did breakfast in Geneva, lunch in Paris, and dinner in Milan once.

20. Jerry St.Marie

About 40 states on a motorcycle when I was a lot younger and single.