What's new

How Many Subwoofers is Too Many? (1 Viewer)

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've been pondering this question lately, and I would like your opinions on how many subwoofers you consider to be "too many" for a room with dimensions 12'x8'x14', for example. I really would like to update my system, and I've thought about doing something totally insane like mating a single sub (possibly a 12"er) to each speaker with each sub as a speaker stand. Exactly what kind of problems would multiple subs placed symmetrically around the room create?
I absolutely love my dual SVS 20-39's, but they are so darn good that they make me want more subwoofin'. I don't want to get into a big discussion, I just want to know whether I should or should not consider having numerous subs in a room with the dimensions listed above. This is just my mind working on serious overdrive and overkill, so do not laugh at me if you think this idea is CRAZY. Again, any input is definitely appreciated.
[Edited last by Jason_S on October 03, 2001 at 04:27 PM]

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Well, I'm no bass expert by any means. I don't claim to know why things do the things they do, but I think if you start spreading subs out all over your room, you're going to create a nightmarish sound situation.
I can't imagine something more than 2 20-39's in a room as small as you're talking about.
Other than the fact that I think you're insane :) I think that you really would wind up with some major problems.
Plus, using a sub for a speaker stand most likely would put your speaker in the floor after a short time.....
[Edited last by Mike LS on October 03, 2001 at 04:17 PM]

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi, I have heard and read in several books that if you place subs in all four corners of you room then you will most likely experience really bad cancellation. I would suggest that you pick one spot in the room and place all of the subs there.
Ryan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would tend to think two 20-39's would be as much as you need in a room of that size.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When you can't get in the room, it's too many.
biggrin.gif

------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I think it would look quite humorous...5 20-39s with 5 Towers on top :)
How are you going to make an SVS sub a stand for your speakers?
Jeremy

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
Okay it almost seems like this discussion is turning into a joke (big surprise), but I think it's fun talking about something interesting yet completely(?) insane. So let's just keep going.
Anyway, I wasn't planning on using 20-39's as the sub/stands; I would either buy cube-shaped subs from a company or build my own DIY subs. (I would use the 20-39's for the LFE channel.) Oh, and I would use bookshelf speakers, not towers. Towers atop 3'+ subs would be hilarious!

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
As many as you can get in the same corner is the limit..if you have to start moving them to different areas in the room they become a hassel.
Take my advise 1 or 2 subs in the same corner is enough if you want more bass then upgrade those two.

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
I would not be bothered by subs in various positions. My basic idea is to run all channels full-range and then use external crossovers to separate the sub signals from each individual channel/speaker. Individual subs would be placed under their accompanying bookshelf speakers at their appropriate locations in the room. Obviously this situation is not nearly as easy as it sounds, and I know that. I am not concerned with space considerations. I am really more interested in the acoustical consequences of said setup: Is it possible? Is it not? Will I blow up my house and go deaf?--things like that.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
im thinking one.
if you need more oomph, upgrade that one.
i suppose james is correct also, how ever many you can stuff into one location would work. (that way thay act as one sub anyway.)
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)
My DIY audio page!
Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks :)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
It would seem, that most replys are not dealing with said qustions....
Long story short, running subs at all said channels, usually bring on a number problems. You can just about bet money that those problems will arise. Peaks, nulls, and phase problems, of which will drive most insain trying to get a grip on controling. Not saying it cant be done, but be prepared to do alot of work.
Others may want to explain in more depth just how involved this aproach can get. (I imagen you do realize the spl db gain that comes naturally with stacking ~side by side with SVS~ subs in same corner).
I say save the time and stress, and add another SVS to the same corner, 2+1=3 :), or move up the SVS line. This, Im thinking you like what your hearing and just want more.
Good luck
Geoff
[Edited last by Geoff L on October 03, 2001 at 09:28 PM]

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff, thanks for the great advice. You are absolutely correct in saying that I like what I'm hearing and just want more. And yes, I do realize the dB gain when placing side by side, SVS's in the same corner.
I expected that this idea would present various difficult-to-deal-with issues. When I would have the time, I would not mind spending a day or two or more molding the bass response from each sub. It would be patience testing, but at the same time it would be a learning experience.

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
I meant to ask this question earlier, but has anyone actually ever attempted the exact scenario that I have described?

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
I use 3 subs in my system. One in front under the screen which gets the signal below 80Hz from the Left front, Center front and Right front channels plus the LEF channel.
Two in the back which get the signal below 80Hz from Left rear, Center rear and Right rear channels. I'm thinking about splitting the LEF channel to both the front and the rear subs.

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice, guys.
Here's another question: What are the differences between running 6 subs independently (each with its own distinct signal--L,C,R,LS,RS,LFE) and running the same 6 subs with the summed signal from all channels split the six ways? My goal is the former.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I think it would be easier to integrate into the room if you keep the channels separate as you want to do. If each channel is reproducing its own signal, there should not be the amount of cancellation/phase issues that you would run into if all channels were summed to the different subs.
You should pick up Widescreen Review magazine, they advocate a very similar setup to what you are talking about. They also show their various layouts in a diagram in every issue. If you have the money, it sounds like loads of fun.

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
James, thanks for the vote of confidence. I am aware of WSR's various home-theatre setups. I believe their Reference System L has a very similar setup to the one I am suggesting.
Also if I ever had this setup, should I honestly worry about the structural integrity of my HT room?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks