How many starving nations could Matthew Perry feed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

"The six stars of Friends have agreed to sign on for an additional season in a deal that will pay each of them $25 million for the season, or more than $1 million for each 30-minute episode, published reports said Monday."
    --IMDb News
    All I can say to this is [​IMG]
    $25 million for one season?

Courtney Cox WAS in Misfits of Science, right?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Scott, those nations are starving BECAUSE of Matthew Perry. Have you seen him lately? I'm surprised they can fit him throught the door of that little apartment. Talk about balooning up!!!

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

But don't you think that the show brings in a lot more than $6 million per episode.

I'd say NBC is doing okay. Those numbers tell you how freaking popular the show is and just how rich these networks get off of prime adverts.

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Anyone hear about the backend of the contract? Last year's contract for the Friends cast was loaded for syndication - they are set to earn an even greater boatload of cash in reruns.

Apparently, M. Perry is really taking the character to heart. Given Chandler's now married, it's given him license to gain the traditional 20 + lbs in the first year of marriage. Or was that just me?

Or, could be, now that he's clean, Perry pigging out to deal with withdrawal.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The total amount, by the way, is $150,000,000.

And it is going to the cast of the worst television series in history.

Can you say "ill-gotten gains," boys and girls?

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

MatthewA. A man who never had to sit through Space Precinct, clearly.

This seems like a hell of a lot, but how much does Mr. Pitt earn over the couple of films he would make in the time it takes to do a 24 episode series?

8. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Dan, ratings and my opinion on a show's quality have no correlation. A number of great shows in the past have had poor ratings, and lousy ones have had good ratings.

I am in a very bad mood right now and I would feel better if closet Friends haters on this forum would come out.

10. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Closet door slowly opens

Hey Matthew, I'm right there with you. Feel better?

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Somehow I don't recall any posts last year when Kelsey Grammer's rotund behind signed a contract paying him north of $38 million a year. Or perhaps it should be noted as:

$38 million for one season?

12. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

"Whatever the market will bear."

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

WB will be making more than a billion dollars off of Friends, for syndication rights and sales to other countries. I'd say the cast deserves a fair share of that.

From Entertainment Weekly:

15. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    This issue is like the fuss made about the "gross" salaries athletes can make. These shows are making the money and someone's going to get it. It might as well be the folks who actually do the "work".
    I say better M. Perry than NBC marketing exec or Warner VP Snapper Cases [​IMG]
    or, to repeat another
    "whatever the market will bear"

17. andrew markworthy

I agree, that amount of money is obscene, but at least the public has some control over this. Put simply, if people didn't watch the shows then they would get cancelled and the actors wouldn't get paid. So, if everyone objected to the amount stars were paid, all they would have to do is not watch the shows. [gets on soap box] It's not like some fat cats in industry who can award themselves vast salaries and share options, often as a reward for 'economy gains' (i.e. sacking half the workforce), and we can't do a thing about it.

I think Friends has been on a downward path since about Season 5. The Chandler-Monica thing has been handled with an overdose of saccharin, and Ross is these days rivalling Wesley Crusher as my number 1 TV series hate figure. Having said that, I still watch it every week, and have all the DVDs (remember we've already got series 1-7 on DVD in R2). This is because there are still some good one-liners even in weak episodes (I think if I were American, I'd hate it - I imagine that smug New Yorkers carry a cultural weighting which as a Brit I totally miss). However, I was hoping they'd kill the series off with the present one. Better to go out with some dignity left.

18. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Gee, each one of their salaries could have paid to keep the Tick on the air twice over. Futurama too I bet

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I wasn't trying to criticize the show by my initial post. I happen to think it's a very funny show with a strong cast.
    It's just so much money! Here's how I think the producers could have saved a few bucks:
    Producer: "OK, we're going to give all six of you $20 million and let you fight it out over who gets what."
    Matt LeBlanc: "Hey, you're kidding. That's a DROP in salary!"
    Producer: "Hey, go star in orangutan baseball movie..."
    Jennifer Aniston: "I'm calling my agent!"
    Producer: "Yeah, ask him if there's gonna be a sequel to Rock Star while you're at it..."
    Courtney Cox: "This is outrageous!!"
    Producer: "Well, you're old enough to be Aniston's mother, plus you've never been as entertaining on this show as you were in that Bruce Springsteen video from 25 years ago. Sit down and eat something."
    Lisa Kudrow:: "Hey, that's cool. I'm doing Analyze This 2 next month, so I could use the time off."
    Matthew Perry: "Could I be any richer?"
    David Schwimmer: "I'd do the show for cab fare."
    Producer: "Back to the salt mines!"
    [​IMG]