What's new

How many stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood remain with us? (1 Viewer)

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

Nope. It matters who gets forgotten though.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

True. I wonder though what it says that Douglas keeps getting forgotten and Heston is thought of as "the last of the great Hollywood stars"...

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

He weeps! WEEPS!!

It's easily dome though. Mickey Rooney was mentiond and i forgot about him. perhaps not a great actor, but certainly a great star.

But those 2, Tony Curtis, Maureen O'Hara...Who's left?
Even the next generation are starting to rust...Both Eatswood and Hackman are about 79.
Christopher Lee is a whopping 86!

In 10 years or so the history of Hollywood will pretty well be just that. History.
The Silent stars have gone, the Golden Age stars are all but gone, the TV/rebellious age stars are pensioners..
Ah! Makes us all feel old.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kirk Douglas is far from forgotten, but the number of male stars from that era is getting very small.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps we should take this discussion to another thread since this is the Charlton Heston Tribute thread.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've started this thread so as to not detract from the tributes to Charlton Heston.

Let's not forget the female stars from that era that remain with us. There is Olivia and her sister Joan Fontaine. Also, Jane Russell and Elenor Parker are still alive.

Karl Malden might be older than Kirk Douglas is still with us.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Robert, I just want to say that I'm not pleased with the way my early comments come across here. I originally said what I did about Kirk Douglas only because it was originally posted as part of the Charlton Heston Tribute Thread, and I too didn't feel it was the place to debate "who is the last great star". I just wanted to be clear on this, because it comes off a tad abrasive here on its own, in a separate thread. I certainly respect Kirk Douglas and have nothing against him. He IS one of the last living legends. Just wanted to make that clear.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
2 time Academy Award Winner for Best Actress 1936 and 1937 ( "The Great Ziegfeld, The Good Earth) Luise Rainer is 98. I think the most senior of the Golden Age stars.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Not that many people would remember her from the silent days, but "Baby Peggy" is still around! And let's not forget Anita "Broadway Melody" Page. And though not a film star, theatrical performer Doris Eaton Travis, whose movie credits range from THE VERY IDEA (1929) to MAN IN THE MOON (1999) is nearly 105 years old! And then there's Gloria Stuart, who must be around 97 by now.

Others I just thought of...Shirley Temple, Jane Withers, Jackie Cooper, Dickie Moore, Gloria Jean, Deanna Durbin.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Depends on who you asked. From my perspective, I believe it was from the dawn of the sound films to 1959. In other words, from "The Jazz Singer" until 1959 when the studio system entered its final days before disappearing for good in the 1960s. If you ask somebody else they may say from the 30s thru the 40s.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
If one considers character actors some more names can be added. In today's birthday listing in the paper it listed R. G. Armstrong (who I didn't realize was still alive) as being 91 although he's more known for his work in the 60s/70s.

Kay Linaker who was in some Warners/Fox films in the 30s & 40s and later wrote The Blob is 94.

Jane Bryan who was in some Warners flicks in the 30s and gave up a promising career for marriage and later political involvement is in her 90s somewhere.

Barbara Hale was an RKO starlet before becoming Della Street and she is now 86.

There are surely some others.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
who are the last of these to appear in any films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks