What's new

How many snappers have you converted to keepcases? (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Anyone have any unused snapper cases they could send my way. I have a few with broken hubs and would like to replace the plastic portion, (I can move the artwork cardbaord to another snapper).

I'm willing to pay postage.
Thanks,
John

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
When converting alot of my cases to thinpaks to save shelf space... the snappers were the first to go. I would estimate around 70 or so.

Ric

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator
I would say around 40 or so, not to mention all the 2 disc digipaks that I hate, I have replaced with 2 disc cases. A great place to get empty cases if you don't want to pay a lot for them is Blockbuster's trash. It is usually very clean and they typically put all the DVD cases in one bag, so it is easy. Call me cheap, I prefer to call myself resourceful. Besides, there's nothing like a good dumpster dive to make one feel alive. :)

Jonathon

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
All my snappers but two have been replaced (no cover art found for those yet) plus all those Alpha double-wide 2-disc cases and digipaks (about 30-40 of those). My shelves are nothing but keepcases and look a hell of a lot better than they did before.

Kudos to DVDCoverArt.com. Best selection, and quite reasonable prices on buying credits for cover downloads. With my new Canon i860 and the Epson Photo Paper ($20 for 100 sheets at Costco) my replacement costs have been reasonably low.

And if you want to get the cases really cheap, one of my local Blockbusters actually sells their studio keepcases (they use their own proprietary ones for the rentals and previously-viewed sales) 5 for $1.00. And the last time I went in, they let me look through the stacks of ones they didn't even have out on the sales floor—I got about 50 2-disc, single-wide Amarays from that trip.

So check your Blockbuster and see if they've got the same deal. Only one of the two in my town was selling them, so you might not find this everywhere.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Kevin,

Did you throw out all the snappers?

Btw...i picked up empty snappers on ebay. I think i got 100 for $30.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious to know (like CraigL) what people do with the leftover snappers. I mean, the reason why I'm converting is because I want to save space and since I don't have enough room for the DVD's to begin with, there's not a whole lot of room to store the spare Snappers (even if they are in the basement or garage..who has that much space available in their basement? :D)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Amen.

This is the funniest thread I've read since the "I examine 10 aspects of the DVD case before purchasing and then store it in a noble gas chamber for perpetuity and never lend them to family or friends" thread.

These are just things, right?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Angelo, what about those who convert for shelf space?

Saving 50% on shelf space seems less funny than being concerned over 'scuffed' cases or security tags on artwork. (as Mark covers the ears to all his DVD's) - No no no! The man didn't mean any disrespect...I love all of you DVD's as if you were my kids! :D

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
Zero.

Of my 1400+ titles, I've only had one broken snapper (...a spindle) and a several dozen broken keepcases that were damaged in shipping which represents about 75-80 percent of my collection. I store my DVDs in Can-Am cabinets (kind of like filing cabinets) where they're hardly ever exposed to light, dust, or handling, so they pretty much remain in pristine condition. I've never had any good reason to permanently "convert" them to keepcases. I have temporarily transferred some of the special edition box sets (which included snapper style packaging) to paper sleeves in boxes, jewel cases, and amray cases for the infrequent and rare occasions where I transport them for viewing outside of the home.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
None.

I don't quite understand the need to convert "snappers", I guess.

I've had quite a few "keepcases" replaced, though. Quite a number of those have arrived damaged while only one of the "snappers", as far as I can remember.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've converted all of my snappers (and any other non keepcase) to keepcases.

The reason I do it is that for some reason all of my DVDs cases must be of the same design so they line up on the shelves nicely. I know, kinda strange, but it really, really bugged me to have so many different case styles. In fact before I converted all my non-keepcases, I had my collection organized by case style and then by alpha.

:b

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Amen, brother Bryan X. :wink:

And no, I don't get rid of the snappers, digipaks, or double Alphas. They're all stored inside boxes that are in my attic. If for some reason I decide to sell a DVD (something which has happened more than once), I'm always able to retrieve the original snapper or whatever and sell the disc in its original case, saving the keepcase for another title that might need it.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
None have we converted...on purpose that is.

There were several that are now in keepcases since our pupply decided to be a film buff and eight about twelve DVD cases. Luckily, none of the disc were damaged, only the art, shells and inserts/art. Since, she has been restrained to the hallway whenever we aren't home.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No, it's easy! You just photocopy the pages to a uniform size, then you download the covers from BookCoverArt.com :D...and then get some binders...and.....well, ok, maybe that would be a little nuts ;)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I was also just about to ask: What about books?

Maybe some people WOULD convert their books to the same size if it was easy to do...? ;)

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
I've converted about 6 so far, but it hasn't cost me a dime. Some of you may not like to do it this way, but for those of you who can't find cover art to download, here's a solution.

I remove the artwork from the plastic on the original snapper case, trim it down to a size that will fit in a keeper, insert it in the keeper, and voila, I'm done. I did this first with The Matrix and I was pleased with the results. I even seperate the inner flaps from the cover and place those inside the keepers as inserts. If you do it right it comes out pretty good. The only problem some may have with this is with covers that have text that extends all the way to the edge of both the front and back covers. Because of the dimesnions of the keepers, you may have to chop some of that text off, which I know is unacceptable to some, but to me it's not that big a deal. As for getting the keeper cases, I just collect all the ones that AOL and the other online companies send out from time to time. Zero cost when you do it this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks