How many snappers have you converted to keepcases?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Clinard, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I have converted 4 already, and I am in the process of converting 5 more. I get all my coverart from DVDCoverArt.com. How many cases have you guys converted?

2. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

More than I can remember. I have very few snappers in my collection. [​IMG] I only have one or two remaining that I'll replace when I can.

I do have two box-sets that I'll be leaving alone though.. Superman and the Nightmare On Elm Street sets.

Every other snapper is toast though. [​IMG]

3. Dustin Harrison

Dustin Harrison Stunt Coordinator

I didn't know people did this. Sounds like a good idea, I hate the snap cases. Looking around on the net I found a place to buy empty keep cases at http://www.shop4tech.com/item1245.html

Is $9.75/25 a good deal?

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I get cases from www.inetdvd.com mostly because i like to keep everything in Amaray cases (I think the amaray hubs are secure yet cause least disk-bending to use). $.59/each.

Not bad.[​IMG]

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I agree with Vince 100%

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I'm with Vince & Lew - 0. Life's too short.

7. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

All of 'em!

(which totalled a grand total of 6. I don't own that many WB and old New Line discs.)

8. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Crap! InetDVD is currently out of Black Amarays.

9. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Also 0.

I don't have time enough to watch all my DVDs, never mind replacing cases.

While snappers are not my favorite cases, they sit on the shelf 364.5 days a year... I can't see going through the trouble.

-Scott

10. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I haven't converted many simply to replace snappers, but I have made numerous from the custom artwork on dvdcoverart.com. The Bond series looks awesome with the custom artwork.

Jeff

11. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

But euhm, could you send some of those snapper jacks to me? I have 2 that were slightly damaged during transport (one black, one white). The artwork is OK, but there's a little crack in the plastic. And I like a few for reserve.
    I'm willing to pay the shipping, of course.

Cees

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I am just in the process of trying to clear up some shelf space by converting to slim cases, but I'm not sure if I'm up for replacing the snappers. The thought of having to use all that ink to print out cover art seems like more work and more money than the cost of shelf space.

How do you guys (who convert snappers) do your printing? Do you do it on your home printers? or do you bring them to Kinkos? Have you facotred in the cost of printing? I wonder how much ink I'd go through to print out 100 covers?

13. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    I use the DV-Depot Printout service. 3.95 per cover. That's about 24 bucks for 6 covers. Not bad in my opinion. The quality is fantastic.

14. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

2 so far - "The Matrix" and "Friday."

Here's another site to buy keepcases - www.sleevecity.com

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Ouch! That's like $400 for 100 DVD's. [​IMG] That's a bit too much for me.

16. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

I dl them from dvdcoverart.com and then spend $0.99 at OfficeMax. Quite reasonable, IMO.

$4 is a bit pricey!

17. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Do you guys throw out your snappers when you're done? I just got a new printer and am astonished at how great things look. Was thinking of doing the same thing...if only for presentation.

18. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Can someone provide some methods on doing this. I have some I want to convert. Thx

19. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

I will say I have had to convert a few due to damage (cardboard covers and kids do not mix well). I enjoy lending out my DVDs to friends and family, and while all types of cases can easily get scuffed up from handling, the problem with snappers is that the covers are unprotected. Not only that but the design is such that the snapper case design is one of the prime culprits as it easily scratches the cases of the poor DVDs that have the misfortune of being stored next to a snapper. This is due to the snapper's protruding plastic edges.

Any temptation to replace all of my snappers was put to rest some time ago when I checked my DVD Profiler database. It said I had over 150 snapper cases, so I do not even want to think about the time and effort to convert all of them.

I think it is a real blemish on Warner's otherwise spotless record in their tremendous support of the DVD format. The fact that Warner has all but abandoned snappers in every other region but R1 is even more disconcerting. Still, it is after all, just a case. Even as a collector, my main concern is the contents.

Warner has slowly begun to use plastic cases in R1 for their non digipack 2-Disc SE DVDs, and perhaps this will lead to the eventual demise of the "snapper".

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I print my replacement covers on my Epson 880, with a glossy stock. You'd never guess they are print outs.

I've also fallen to the bug of doing custom covers for some of my titles. Including Zinema's amazing Bond set. They look fantastic lined up.

I just enjoy having covers that are A) not snappers and B) different from other peoples.

Mark, I just buy 8.5x11 glossy photo paper. You have to fool the printer into thinking it's legal-size (unless you either buy legal-size, or have a printer that can print right to the edges). I do that by taping a regular sheet of paper to the back of the photo paper. The slight overlap fools the printer, and it prints the exact size of a proper DVD cover. I haven't tracked how much ink I've used, as I don't really care. But I've gotten a LOT of covers out of one set of cartridges...and a good majority of the customs I've printed have a TON of black on 'em.

I also used to use matte-finish papers, thinking that glossy would look odd. I used a piece of glossy once, and it looked SO much better than the matte it was amazing. [​IMG]

Some of my friends (and fellow HTFers) think I'm nuts... but I enjoy doin' this. *shrug* At least I don't replace ALL the covers. My wife would probably kill me. [​IMG]