1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How many shows put out Dolby Digital output.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tan_U, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

I've ordered Dish network top 100, is it worth it too spend $100 more to get Dolby Digital output receivers, how many shows will actually send out Dolby Digital signals?

2. Jon_T

Jon_T Agent

Starz East, Showtime East & West, HBO East, the HD channels and 10 PPV channels are in DD. I have not heard of any of the regular "cable" channels broadcasting in DD so Dish does not have those channels in DD. If you plan on watching any of these channels then it would probably be a good idea to get a DD receiver.

3. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Tan,
    Check here: DD 5.1 on TV
    ------------------
    JB
    My baloney has a first name it's H-O-M-E-R my baloney has a second name it's H-O-M-E-R

4. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Another way of putting it is that if you don't plan on subscribing to Showtime, HBO or Starz, then all of your Dolby Digital programming on DBS will be PPV movies (and in theory, PPV music events such as concerts).

5. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

Thank you, I'll wait until I can afford an HDTV receiver to receive Dolby Digital, the Echostar 301 will do for now.

6. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind that you can still take advantage of a digital output on the receiver even on normal stereo channels. It will just be output as PCM data and your receiver will convert it to analog. This allows you to use the usually superior home theater receiver DACs. You'll should get less noticeably less hiss than with the analog outputs of the 301.
    BTW, I have the 301 and the sound quality is good, but there is noticeable hiss.

7. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

That's a good point. Simply using this type of connection can improve the sound quality on all channels.
    -Dan B

8. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Which receivers output DD? Optical or coax?
    ------------------
    »ken«