How Many Seasons Are Worth The Purchase?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnOPR, Jul 5, 2005.

1. JohnOPR

JohnOPR Stunt Coordinator

I've been collecting the following seasons of

All in the Family
    The Golden Girls
    Home Improvement
    Married with Children
    The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    The Simpsons
    The Waltons

Thus far, I've enjoyed them, but I'm wondering is there a point where the show loses a bit of its luster or interest...a point where the writing isn't as good, etc?

Could I get feedback from those of you who have seen (on TV)the later seasons of these shows? How many seasons are worth the purchase? Thanks.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

In my opinion, The Simpsons is generally pretty good up until about Season Ten. Some people will say it gets bad before that and some will say it never gets bad[​IMG]

3. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    In my opinion, Mary Tyler Moore is good all the way. None of the other shows you listed holds any current interest for me so I can't comment on those, sorry.

Steve

4. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Certainly the number of seasons that you buy for a particular show should be based on your likes/dislikes, but you might want to check out the site JumpTheShark.com where individuals let it be known when they think various television series went downhill.

5. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

Trying not to outright spoil anything which you may not have already seen, I will say that The Waltons ultimately reaches a point where (for me, at least), it became almost unwatchable. I don't have time to check right now to see exactly which season(s) the particular downhill turns occurred, but I (particularly) had issues with the fact that a different actor was brought in to play the character of John Boy (an unrecoverable mistake, IMO), and I also took issue with certain plotlines concerning Mary Ellen's marriage and husband. (Anyone who's seen these later eps will know what I'm referring to.)

IMO, MTM, Home Improvement and The Golden Girls stayed pretty good for their entire runs. Others may feel differently, of course...

I never cared much for All In The Family, and I've never watched a single full episode of either The Simpsons or Married With Children, so my opinions on any of those would be useless. (Not necessarily a deliberate choice in either case; I just never made the effort to try to catch them in either their original runs or the endless syndication runs. I've worked evening and night shifts for over 20 years, so all of my prime-time viewing involves specific choices and deliberate effort...i.e. recording. Thank goodness for VCRs and DVRs!)

6. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Married...With Children gets really bad during season 7 (Seven was such an annoying kid), but picks up quickly from season 8 until the end. Might as well pick them all up...season 7 does have its moments too.

7. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

Golden Girls stays good until the end, even though season seven was definately the weakest of all the seasons