How many prunes is too many? & other dried fruit questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Wright, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I'm not trying to start a tasteless thread, here. I'm genuinely curious. I bought some delicious dried plums and apricots at Costco yesterday, and I've been munching them all day - being careful not to eat too many. I'd like to polish off the rest of them right here and now, but I'm afraid of the consequences.

So, how many prunes can a person eat before they'll regret it?

While I'm on the subject, how healthy for you are dried fruits (specifically prunes & apricots)? Seems to me they'd be a great source of something (?) in your diet, but I wouldn't know what. Are there any nasty consequences (health-wise) to be had in snacking on them all day instead of, say, chips or other not-so-good-for-you snacks?

Are there any other healthy snacks that you people like to eat? Are peanuts healthy? I'm trying to stay away from the common junk food.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I'm not even gonna touch this one! :b I really don't know about prunes, but peanuts are good for you. They are a bit hard to digest but have lots of protein. I would think that dried fruits are just as good for you as fresh fruits because you are still eating fruit, albeit dried-out.

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

4. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I they are purchased at a store you could check the nutritional information on the side of the container. I would think the primary concern of excessive consumption would be the calories. I am not sure if dried fruits are simple or complex carbos. If they are simple carbos then they are more likely to be turned into fat. Eaten in moderation (based on the calories and the grams of carbos) I wouldn't think there would be major issues.
    Kenneth
    P.S.
    I found this link which should help a little with determining the calories:
    http://www.calorie-counter-chart.com...s-in-fruit.htm
    Based on that info you would want to moderate your intake to an acceptable number of calories. I also expect that the carbs are simple (sugar) which is easily turned into fat.
    K