What's new

How many people waiting for the AVA250 here? (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well I just ordered my stuff. Tempest, FP4 and AVA250. Got my confirmation and was dismayed to find out the AVA250 is on backorder until May. I was looking forward to having the thing built less than 3 weeks from now. Not a month and 2 weeks from now (when getting the time to build it will be more difficult). Doh.
I'm also becoming nervous waiting to see what shipping, tax and brokerage is going to end up at since I'm not that confident I worked it all out right (regardless it should end up cheaper than the PW2200 I was gonna buy). Stupid Canadian dollar and the boarder, I wish it truely was free trade :P

I am waiting on mine also, Dustin. My driver and other parts will be here on Monday, but Adire neglected to mention the AVA250 is backordered until I emailed to get the tracking number. When I placed my order, Dan Wiggins said everything would ship out on Wednesday, and said nothing about it being backordered until May. I really don't want to wait a month and a half to get it. If it is true that it is backordered until May, I will probably cancel my order for the amp and order it from Parts Express. I think the two are pretty much identical. This sucks! I was hoping to have everything next week so I could finish it up. I don't want it to drag on for 6 more weeks.
Blake
------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I think the two are pretty much identical.
Actually, there's a major difference in the two amp's implementation of bass boost/rumble filtering. I think the PE's is centered around 30Hz, with the subsonic filter rolling off below that, while Adire modifies theirs to have a much more mild boost around 25Hz or so, with an F3 around 18Hz. Obviously, Adire's is much better suited to a Tempest application.
Sucks to wait till May, though. There's recently been quite a bit of discussion on the PE message board about modifying their amp in a way similar to what Adire does. Seems fairly simple (at your own risk, of course...they recommend a service tech do it), if you're adept at that kind of thing. You'll have to scroll way down, this post specifically refers to the mod.
In this post , PE actually offers the required resistors for free to anyone wishing to so modify their amp...pretty cool.
------------------

Jack:
What about for a Shiva? Would the Adire amp still be better than the PE amp? If I have to I will wait the extra amount of time to get the Adire amp, but I would really rather not wait, especially if the PE amp will work.
Blake
------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
What about for a Shiva? Would the Adire amp still be better than the PE amp?
I would say so. In a ported cab,the Shiva is usually tuned for flat response to 20Hz or so, so a 5-6db hump @ 30Hz would probably not be flattering, although some might actually prefer it for ht. As it is, I think the PE amp is better suited for a Shiva in a small sealed cab, where the boost could actually help to flatten/extend the response (the f3,really), maybe at the expense of very deep bass.
------------------

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hello,
I don't want to step on Dan Wiggins's toes too much here, and would not post this if the AVA250's were in stock. For those who do need an amplifier right away, I do have some of the AMP350's in stock here. These would be a step up in power from the AVA250. They tested at 380W into 4ohm. They do have the 30Hz bass boost, but for $10 I can modify the amp. The boost can be removed completely to give a flat response with the subsonic corner frequency at 12.5Hz. I can also do a mild Q that will give an 18Hz corner with about a 1dB boost in the low 20Hz range. I also have plans to get a 5dB boost at 20Hz, or 6dB centered at 25Hz, however I need to order a few components for that, so there would be about a 2 week wait if modified that way. The stock amps, or the first two modifications I mentioned can ship right away.
John

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
...I do have some of the AMP350's in stock here. These would be a step up in power from the AVA250.
Please correct me if I'm wrong,
but I thought that in order to hear something twice (x2) as loud, you need 4 times (x4) the power, meaning, you need to have 400% increase in power!. Since the AMP350 is rated at 380W, it is 40% stronger than the AVA250 (tested to give 272W), since 4 times the power correspond to 10db SPL increase, this mean that the AMP350 will be louder at approx 1db than the AVA250. 1db IS louder, but not that much...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
To go twice as loud (i.e. a 10dB increase in SPL), you need 10 times the power.
What JohnJ is talking about is headroom. While the loudness of the output might not go up dramatically, there is plenty of juice for the sub's driver to maintain control of the signal and not risk introducing clipped signals to the woofer driver. That's what the extra 100W gives you.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
To go twice as loud (i.e. a 10dB increase in SPL), you need 10 times the power.
So, lets say I currently measure 110db SPL at 50hz with my AVA250 driving a sub at full volume. In order to reach 120db with my setup, theoretically I'll need to use a 2700W amp ???
WoW... (not that I'll ever want to hear a 120db signal).

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Each 3db SPL increase requires a doubling of amplifier power, it's a logarithmic scale, not linear. As you've noted, the percentage increase in SPL begins to decrease rapidly as you get into the high power regions, a "point of diminishing returns", if you will.
That point will be different depending on the individual application, and I don't think it's necessarily been reached with the AVA 250, for the reasons Pat noted.
It will take huge amounts of (expensive) power to get appreciably louder than the 270 watts of the AVA250, though, assuming it can handle the load it's driving.
------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Fwiw, there are some good pics of the PE/Adire250 amp on
this page from this site . Looks like a rather high quality unit.
The Stryke 350 appears identical, so is likely also high quality, and lists the same weight, but is slightly larger.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hmm.. FYI, looks like I screwed up on the weight of the AMP350 on the website. I just weighed one, and it's actually right around 14 lbs. Shipping weight is specified as 18lbs with packaging.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks