How many people waiting for the AVA250 here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well I just ordered my stuff. Tempest, FP4 and AVA250. Got my confirmation and was dismayed to find out the AVA250 is on backorder until May. I was looking forward to having the thing built less than 3 weeks from now. Not a month and 2 weeks from now (when getting the time to build it will be more difficult). Doh.
    I'm also becoming nervous waiting to see what shipping, tax and brokerage is going to end up at since I'm not that confident I worked it all out right (regardless it should end up cheaper than the PW2200 I was gonna buy). Stupid Canadian dollar and the boarder, I wish it truely was free trade [​IMG]

2. Blake Middleton

I am waiting on mine also, Dustin. My driver and other parts will be here on Monday, but Adire neglected to mention the AVA250 is backordered until I emailed to get the tracking number. When I placed my order, Dan Wiggins said everything would ship out on Wednesday, and said nothing about it being backordered until May. I really don't want to wait a month and a half to get it. If it is true that it is backordered until May, I will probably cancel my order for the amp and order it from Parts Express. I think the two are pretty much identical. This sucks! I was hoping to have everything next week so I could finish it up. I don't want it to drag on for 6 more weeks.
    Blake
    ------------------

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

4. Blake Middleton

Jack:
    What about for a Shiva? Would the Adire amp still be better than the PE amp? If I have to I will wait the extra amount of time to get the Adire amp, but I would really rather not wait, especially if the PE amp will work.
    Blake
    ------------------

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hello,
    I don't want to step on Dan Wiggins's toes too much here, and would not post this if the AVA250's were in stock. For those who do need an amplifier right away, I do have some of the AMP350's in stock here. These would be a step up in power from the AVA250. They tested at 380W into 4ohm. They do have the 30Hz bass boost, but for $10 I can modify the amp. The boost can be removed completely to give a flat response with the subsonic corner frequency at 12.5Hz. I can also do a mild Q that will give an 18Hz corner with about a 1dB boost in the low 20Hz range. I also have plans to get a 5dB boost at 20Hz, or 6dB centered at 25Hz, however I need to order a few components for that, so there would be about a 2 week wait if modified that way. The stock amps, or the first two modifications I mentioned can ship right away.
    John

7. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush Stunt Coordinator

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

To go twice as loud (i.e. a 10dB increase in SPL), you need 10 times the power.
    What JohnJ is talking about is headroom. While the loudness of the output might not go up dramatically, there is plenty of juice for the sub's driver to maintain control of the signal and not risk introducing clipped signals to the woofer driver. That's what the extra 100W gives you.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

9. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush Stunt Coordinator

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Each 3db SPL increase requires a doubling of amplifier power, it's a logarithmic scale, not linear. As you've noted, the percentage increase in SPL begins to decrease rapidly as you get into the high power regions, a "point of diminishing returns", if you will.
    That point will be different depending on the individual application, and I don't think it's necessarily been reached with the AVA 250, for the reasons Pat noted.
    It will take huge amounts of (expensive) power to get appreciably louder than the 270 watts of the AVA250, though, assuming it can handle the load it's driving.
    ------------------

11. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hmm.. FYI, looks like I screwed up on the weight of the AMP350 on the website. I just weighed one, and it's actually right around 14 lbs. Shipping weight is specified as 18lbs with packaging.
    John