What's new

How Many People "Use" Preouts? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
When I had my Denon 1801 I used the pre-outs for my Rotel RMB-1066 amp. Added a whole new level to the audio.

Kevin

Larry B

Screenwriter
Ron S:
But a funny thing happened on the way to the HT. I rediscovered music. [/.quote]
Excellent!!!
No way a receiver's amp section can compete with really good quality amps, even the very expensive receivers.
Absolutely true. Unfortunately, the preamp sections of HT receivers are also inferior to dedicatd 2-channel preamps.
Larry

Larry B

Screenwriter
Ron S:

No way a receiver's amp section can compete with really good quality amps, even the very expensive receivers.
Absolutely true. Unfortunately, the preamp sections of HT receivers are also inferior to dedicated 2-channel preamps.

Larry

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Agreed. You need pre outs and ideally main ins.

However the contention above that the preamp section of receivers is inherently worse than than that of a dedicated prepro is much harder to support.

Steve

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
I use a separate amp to power my mains and center.
I have my speakers (NHT 2.5i) bi-amped. Using a Parasound HCA855A (85watts 5ch). I am currently using a old Kenwood 8070 ProLogic receiver. I hope to be going digital by the coming summer.

I got my amplifier from Frank Carter. Hi ya Frank, the amp is working great, sounds wonderful.

I must say, I really like Bi-Amping my front main speakers.
I would strongly recommend that you try this if your especially if your speakers are inefficient, like my NHTs.

Phil O,
I also have the Parasound HCA-855A and NHT 2.5i. Currently I am using the pre-outs of my Pioneer VSX-35TX to run (a single channel of amplification to each speaker) to my 2.5i's, my AC-1, and 1.5's. It is a nice surround setup. But maybe I should try to bi-amp the 2.5i's for giggles. Could you describe what kind of bi-amp you are doing (passive or active) and what kind of connections you have made to accomplish this.
Thanks,
Curtis

StevenK

Second Unit
Another NHT 2.5i owner here. I do a passive bi-amp of the 2.5i also...off of a Sherwood Newcastle AM9080.

I can't tell any difference from single-channel amplification. But I do it for the "Cool" factor and the security of mind that my system can handle ANY intense movie scene!

PS. Obviously...YES...I use the pre-outs on my Pioneer 811s!

KevinGS

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I use my pre-outs of my Denon 1800, I have a Bryston 8B-ST (only using 3 channels now).
Probably end up buying a 3 channel amp when I get a 7.1 processor.

120 Watts of Bryston sure beat the hell out of 75 Watts of Denon.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely true.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
I can think of a couple of exceptions.....
Of course, this probably just proves the rule....

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Use preouts here as well.... Yam DSP A1 ( their flagship a few years ago).... to nOrh Le Amps monoblocks.

Not even close (which is not to say the DSP A1's amp section are not capable), as the nOrh amps are overbuilt and simply clean the Yam's clock.

Keep in mind that the DSP A1's amp section are truthfully rated at 110W per channel; and were even tested by an independent source as consistently delivering 125W per channel.
Conversely, The nOhr Le Amps are listed at 100W per channel on their website. However, John Curl tested them at 75W on his test equipment, after much hoopla in an AA thread (a bloody kicking match), I should add.

Bottom line, the nOrh Le Amps outperformed the DSP A1 in spades. And kicked the Marantz MA 6100 monoblocks (125W THX Ultra certified) with no questions asked. All amps are the same.... right.....

BOK

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
Steven, Chris, I passively bi-amp my speakers. I didn't really notice much difference in the high end, but the mid range did improve some, and the bass was better. I wouldn't say that it was an earth shattering experience. However I don't want to go back to the (not so any more) normal way. :D
Now I need a two ch. amp for the rears (NHT 1.5). But that will have to wait a while. :frowning:

Ralph P.

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,

I am currently using a Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX as a pre/pro. I use a Parasound HCA-1205A to power the 5 main channels, and an AMC 2100 stereo amp to power the two rear center channel surrounds ( 7.1 ). I absolutely agree that pre outs on a receiver are a must, and that in most cases the amp section in receivers can not keep up with a decent seperate amplifier ( especially with all channels being driven ).

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I think pre-outs is a necessity for anyone posting the question. If you are here, it's because the "bug" just bite you...:D
I started with a Yamaha HTR-5150 for 6 months. Then RX-V2200 for 2 months, then RX-V3200 for around 6 months. Then the "separate" bug bite me. Add a Rotel RMB-1095 (5X200W). 1 month connected on pre-outs of the RX-V3200. Then sold the 3200, now using a Rotel RSP-1066... Thinking of the Anthem AVM20v2 now...
If you are taking the time to post here, it's because you are really interested in HT. So pre-outs are a must for you.
For my father-in-law...different answer, because will probably will never use those... He will use those ONLY if he ask me to help him upgrade:D
Another :emoji_thumbsup: for pre-outs, "just in case"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKASGamingYT
Recent bookmarks