What's new

How many people think RPGs were better in the old days? (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
what are you apprehensive about?
Exactly what we've been talking about in this thread. Impressions of the game have been positive but there have been complaints of far too many cinematics at far too many intervals which infringes on gameplay time.

Xenogears was also a talk heavy game but there was TONS of gameplay in between the talk (along with and the cinematics were for the most part action packed and brief. I'm hoping that XenoSaga is the same way. No matter what I'm buying it and seeing for myself.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Well, there is a recent RPG that sort of mimics the difficulty of old console RPGs, and for me so far, Legend of Legaia 2: Dual Saga was it. I could be easily wiped out by an optional boss at 99!, and normal enemies were definitely NOT a walk in the park. Story was sorta lacking though, and I will admit that with a good bit of levelling, the battles - though a bit long - are manageable. (even a bit easy).
That said, RPGs seem to take the most time of all the genres, and if we are lucky, we are taken in to the game by its end. The Final Fantasies of late (7 and on) did NOT do that for me. Xenogears for the PSX, on the other hand did. No computer in my room means on Planescape for me.... Unfortunately.
Being the crazy SOB that I am, I am replaying the Legend of Legaia 2 Dual Saga IMPORT at home, and loving it. Can't read or understand Japanese, but having played the English version makes it easier. Love the battle system.
Romier S:
Why don't you get an import PS2 and play Xenosaga now? There is a FAQ guide that translates the basic info, and explains the game... I got it, but haven't played it - too busy with Kingdom Hearts and Dual Saga IMPORT mentioned above.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you get an import PS2 and play Xenosaga now?
Already have a modded PS2. Not interested in playing import RPG's for the most part. I'll happily wait for the conversion. I personally don't like using FAQ's to understand whats being said and what not. I'm a patient man and with all the stuff there is to play right now, Im in no hurry for it Woo:D.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Romier S:
Cool.

Not much for modding, since I read that some chips don't work for some games. Went for the more expensive import the Japanese console route. Am pretty happy with it [got it for Xenosaga]. I have two import games: Xenosaga, and Legaia 2: Dual Saga. Want to try to finish L2: DS IMPORT to hear the voice work and just to play it again. Finished the US release a few days ago.

Right now, just re started Kingdom Hearts, and am working on getting 99 pretty stones from the race with Riku. Also chose the Slow levels early option with Staff/no sword (more MP). Fun so far, and really different from the menu based game like Legaia.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Wow, all these posts and no one has mentioned the best old school RPG ever. LUNAR! :)
Anyways, that is my favourite RPG/game.

AlexJ

Agent
DAMN! What do I have to do to get the Xenosaga import??? I have no idea how to modify my PS2.... you people are way ahead of me.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I have a japanese PS2 I never use if someone wants it. Just doesnt have a power cord or AV cables. It is a first generation one. No memory card though. Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks